What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best small plants for a low-light terrarium?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Greetings. A few years ago, I had a large 20 gallon terrarium in my room under a CFL and grew a wide selection of CPs (Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Drosera, Nepenthes, etc). However, I was planning on moving out of state and wanted to focus on a smaller collection so I sold almost all the plants and the tank. Over the past two years, I have been growing a Cephalotus under a 27watt CFL and it's grown extremely well (vigorous and red-colored).

However, I've been yearning to do a small terrarium again and I today I purchased a 2.5 gallon terrarium (12''x6''x8.3''). The terrarium will still fit under the growlight and because of the rectangular shape of the light will properly cover the terrarium.

However, I know this wouldn't be enough light for Sarracenia or some of the intense-sun Droseras, but should be adequate for some other CPs.

To sum up: what are some small CPs that I can grow well under a moderate light (the light is enough to give my Cephalotus some red color)?

Not the best picture, but this shows the light I use:
30hVlPY.jpg

Last edited:
If its enough to turn cephs red its enough to basically grow any cp. You could have a small nep, I have an amp in a 2.5 gal tank. You could also throw in some utrics and droseras ( capes, natalensis, etc).

If its enough to turn cephs red its enough to basically grow any cp. You could have a small nep, I have an amp in a 2.5 gal tank. You could also throw in some utrics and droseras ( capes, natalensis, etc).

I'm concentrating on three plants: a Cephalotus, a Drosera, and a Pinguicula. I'm leaning towards Drosera capensis and Pinguicula 'Pirouette'

U. calycifida is much more conspicuous than other terrestrial utrics and does very well under lower light.

D. prolifera is, IMO, the best Drosera for a low-light, subtropical terrarium setting. It's beautiful, it grows fast, reproduces readily, and does not take up much space, even when it's spreading.

D. prolifera is, IMO, the best Drosera for a low-light, subtropical terrarium setting. It's beautiful, it grows fast, reproduces readily, and does not take up much space, even when it's spreading.

I've grown it before (I tried outdoors here in Florida when it died) but I found it extremely beautiful. Not to mention it would be rare in a collection compared to a capensis or something.

You could also try D. adelae, which for some people (myself included) grows best in lower light situations (as opposed to full-sun). Like w03 mentioned above, U. calycifida is a good candidate, and can be as small as you want it, provided you're up to the task of regularly pruning it back. U. sandersonii might be a good candidate as well, and should flower more profusely than calycifida, making a smaller specimen more worth the time and effort.

You could also try D. adelae, which for some people (myself included) grows best in lower light situations (as opposed to full-sun). Like w03 mentioned above, U. calycifida is a good candidate, and can be as small as you want it, provided you're up to the task of regularly pruning it back. U. sandersonii might be a good candidate as well, and should flower more profusely than calycifida, making a smaller specimen more worth the time and effort.

I second that, my D. Adelae also grows better in lower light. I had it under my T8's and it got really red and shrunk down in size and did not look happy at all. Moved it to the side of the lights and it has exploded in size and just looks more healthy to me now. BUT.. I struggled with this species at first, went from a monster size plant down to a tiny little thing. Doing a lot better now since it has settled.

Last edited:
schizandra is the best low light cp I have ever grown.

I had completely forgotten about D. schizandra... definitely second that. The one I have from jcal is doing great in a shady corner of my setup. It's fairly slow too so it shouldn't get big and sprawl all over the place like D. adelae can, at least not particularly quickly.

Back