What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY COB LED info

nimbulan is right. It's not a problem at all. I have exactly same driver/COB combo, and it works if you make parallel loop.

Code:
driver+ ---- COB1 ----- COB3 --- driver -
          \- COB2 -/ \-COB4 -/
COB1 and 2 in parallel and COB3 and 4 in parallel. And these get connected serially.

You get the same with the following, but the wiring above is better in case one COB gets disconnected.
Code:
driver+ ---- COB1 ----- COB3 --- driver -
          \- COB2 -----COB4 -/

Each COB gets 700mA, which is a good compromise of initial cost vs efficiency for plant growing with this 72V model.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation about just making two loops. I've since had time to give it a go and it all works just fine. I've got my solid state relay wired up so I can control the unit with my arduino. I've got a clock shield coming later this week so I'll be able to accurately program in on/off times. Sure I could use a mechanical timer, but anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right? ;) Ultimately I'd like to add some additional feedback loops for temp/humidity control, but that's a little further down the line!

Everything still needs to be put into some kind of final position, and I need to run the lights for a few hours to make sure that the thermal paste holds up well. I had previously used up more of my fancy thermal paste than I'd thought, so one of the COBs has a different thermal paste on it. I suspect it'll be fine, but I'd like to be around for the initial cycle.

Huh, I think it might actually be time to get some plants again! :-O

Oh and a question: I know that the driver for 1 LED wants a 100kOhm potentiometer (and 50kOhm for two, etc). I'm assuming that since what I'm adjusting voltage with the pot, I should use a 50kOhm one since the voltage drop is equivalent to having two COBs with this setup, right?

Last edited:
I think you have one HLG, controlling 4x CXB3590, right? Then you want to use 100k ohm pot as the dimmer. I think the other values of pots are when you are controlling multiple drivers with a single pot.

Are you using active cooling (i.e. a CPU heatsink with a fan)? Since you have HLG, you might want to add a thermal switch to the dimmer. I described how I attached them to the dimmer circuit of HLG in parallel to the dimmer pot ("thermal protection" section in this blog post). The other day, I was working on the timer region behind a grow tent, and I didn't notice that I bumped off the AC/DC converter for the CPU fans. While I was watering plants, the light went off, thanks to the thermal protection.

It's a cheap protection. With non-dimming kind, you can set it up to cut off the DC. It works ok, but using the dimmer circuit to dim is probably more gentle to the driver.

It doesn't matter how many LEDs you have hooked up, the potentiometer operates on the driver itself so the target value won't change.

Back