What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which grow light for my mini greenhouse?

I am using a mini greenhouse to grow a variety of sarrs, vfts, dews, and pings. Below is the link to the greenhouse I am using. I took out the second shelf and have all my plants on the third shelf. I also plan to put a grow light on the top shelf. The problem I am having is that my new apartment only allows my plants to get 1 hour of direct sunlight a day and the rest of the day it is completely indirect and not even filtered light. Although this may be fine for winter, I need to find a grow light that I can place on the top shelf of the mini greenhouse for spring and summer growth. Below is a link to what I was thinking of using. I am located in southern california and it never gets below 30 degrees here. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Amazon.com : Gardman 7610 4-Tier Greenhouse with Reinforced Cover, 18" Long x 27" Wide x 63" High : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com : Erligpowht 45W LED Red Blue Indoor Garden Plant Grow Light Hanging Light : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Last edited:
I grow my plants in something almost exactly like this, However I grow Dews and Nepenthes.
I use a 4 bulb T5HO fixture (2 feet) in this setup. The plants do very well.

This is hard to say though because I dont grow your species indoors, So I couldnt tell you
if my lighting setup would be sufficient for the variety you grow. I think the pings would be just fine, but im thinking the sarrs would be
sad. They are sunsponges.

You might be able to stick the sarrs/VFTs outside in winter at night to start them going dormant.
(im not sure how high they can be when in dormancy because im always fighting a way to keep the cold OFF them,
so I refrigerate.)

Thank you for the reply. Sorry I forgot to add that I have dews in there as well. I have this greenhouse outside year round but it only gets 1 hour of direct sun a day. I roll it up halfway in the summer and keep it closed in the winter, There is also a ventricose x alata hanging from the bottom shelf that should get some extra light through the opening in the center of the greenhouse

Last edited:
73 views and only one response. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thank you

I use led grow lights which you can buy from eBay and they love it.
They use very little electricity and even less heat.
There are several types of lights all depends on what you want to use them for.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

I light an area approximately twice the size of one of those mini greenhouses with 2 120W Taotronics led panels sufficiently bright to grow and bloom Cymbidium orchids, which are full sun plants at my latitude. They're actually intended for reef tanks, but work very well for plants. There are comparable units designed specifically for plants.

I light an area approximately twice the size of one of those mini greenhouses with 2 120W Taotronics led panels sufficiently bright to grow and bloom Cymbidium orchids, which are full sun plants at my latitude. They're actually intended for reef tanks, but work very well for plants. There are comparable units designed specifically for plants.
Would this item suffice for my situation? Trying to find something on amazon lol

Amazon.com : Galaxyhydro LED Grow Plant Light 300w Greenhouse Indoor Hydroponic Grow Lighting 9 Band : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It should do nicely.
Thank you for your help :). How close should the fixture hang to the plants? From the top shelf to the top of the foam cups is 19inches. I imagine the sarrs will nearly touch the top or surpass it eventually

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how many hours a day should I run it? Since it's outside I was only going to do 8-10 hours a day

Thank you for your help :). How close should the fixture hang to the plants? From the top shelf to the top of the foam cups is 19inches. I imagine the sarrs will nearly touch the top or surpass it eventually

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how many hours a day should I run it? Since it's outside I was only going to do 8-10 hours a day

Mine are approximately 3.5' above the floor of the area. I'm currently running them 10 hrs per day, but it's getting near time to bump them to 11.

Last edited:
I like the greenhouse tent.

How about cruising craigs list for grow lights? Some is always starting big and crashing hard.

The Kessil purple LEDs are always up for sale used.

Aquatic plant LED strip lights will work just fine for each shelf. Minimal heat transfer.

LEDs are rated for 50,000 hours, well worth the investment.

Back