What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Been waiting a long time for this

• Thread starter eithan0693
  • Start date
There's a fungus among us and he's a pretty fun-gi

This is just stunning.
Out of curiosity, How do you colonize the wood substrate for log plugs?
and is there a certain criteria when selecting a log to use?

Yeah basically you just have to pick the right wood, I like to pressure cook my wool but there isn't a point. You need to realise these things grow in nature and your not growing them like a lab.

So expect mold expect things to go bad at first but its all okay it will work out after like 6 months I mean I had like 7 different types of mold and bacteria on the log I've been showing off when j first made it now it's got only the Stipticus on it.

That's just nature and how equilibriums are made.

Now for your spawn you essentially need wooden plugs made of hardwood oak is best there's a list of species that stip likes to eat floating around. Birch is okay , you just get your wood and or sawdust to field capacity ( Google that ) and make sure it is actually wet and doesn't dry out during that time make sure its also not overly wet. You prep your log by soaking in water for a week to bring to field capacity and to get rid of the sugars in it.

Over 3% sugar and your log won't grow so it's important to soak, I changed my water every day for that week and made sure the log was held under the water by a plate.

After your spawn substrate is made you just simply mix it together with your already grown spawn or yohr spores and wait for jt to grow. After its grown you pack the spawn into holes filled into your log and seal with wax, wait another 6 months and you will have mushrooms!

Once every 2 weeks to a month soak your log to bring to field capacity and yeah don't worry if you see mold on top of your log just let it dry out a little more to kill off the surface layer of mold. Your Stipticus is right inside and under that mold, so if you let the surface of the log dry the mold gets weak and the Stipticus can grow through it. Fun fact mold may actually be a good thing in this situation. See mold starts to break down the wood on the outter layer which is denser than the inner parts. The mold breaks down that wood and when the Stipticus comes along it can eat the mold and the wood left over is already half broken down , so it can grow even faster. This may also make nutrients more available to the stipticus causing it to grow faster. Logs are great I have a couple outoods too ahahaha I'm probably going to make a huge wood pile this spring and spawn ALL of it :D cuz why not?

Let me guess. Field ready means that the log is suitably saturated and rotted to allow mushrooms to live on them.

Essentially yes, but its more specifically "a field saturated two days after heavy rain fall" so its not 100% wet. More like 65% moisture

I ordered Plugs early this year and tried the same with with a large chunk of cotton wood,
soaked for 4 days. However, black mold and white fluff mold quickly took over after about 3 months
and the mushrooms never made their appearance. Does the log have to be a certain freshness?

Ive heard others reporting great results with Freshly cut logs

Yes use fresh cut logs I've also pressure cooked logs that helps a bit but it only cuts down on mold , there's almost no sterile way to grow this time effectively

First off, NICE PHOTOS!!! That first ping photo is especially beautiful!

For those interested in a good mushroom sources:
I got bioluminescent mushrooms from black jungle terrarium supply. They sell two kits, one with a log and one with out a log (I got her the one with the log). They grew great in a little terrarium I setup for my girlfriend, they popped up in just a few weeks.

As for edibles, I got my uncle an indoor Shiitake Mushroom kit from Fungi Perfecti: Indoor Mushroom Growing - Fungi.com
They also sell Outdoor kits and Pure Mushroom Spawn & Cultures. Their book selection is also amazing if you want to learn all the details of mushroom growing.

Last edited:
Awesome pictures! I remember there was a young guy in the BACPS a few years ago who sold bioluminescent kits- I shoulda bought one, I'd have mushrooms by now :)

Lol yep I could also send fully colonised ready to go spawn and probably beat any price out there just saying :D also I'm always looking to expand my collection with trades.

Last edited:
For those interested in a good mushroom sources:
I got bioluminescent mushrooms from black jungle terrarium supply. They sell two kits, one with a log and one with out a log (I got her the one with the log). They grew great in a little terrarium I setup for my girlfriend, they popped up in just a few weeks.

I forgot that I have photos form a year or two ago. Unfortunately, the camera was not good enough to pick up the bioluminescent glow.
full

Mushrooms on bottom with larger growth, compare with top photo. Unknown mushroom on bottom right, came out of a piece of cork bark.
full

Right on looks like you had a nice log.

Mine is two years old now, this is the second flush forming and unfortunately I let most of the pins dry out soo I didn't get as many fruits this year

Nice mushrooms.

Back