What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY remote controlled LED fixture

Cool! Where did you end up ordering it?

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions / feedback let me know.

Cool! Where did you end up ordering it?

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions / feedback let me know.
OSHPark, I've ordered from them before.

So I got one built over the holidays and except for a radio failure after 2 days everything has been working like a charm. I'm running both my LED lights, an Si7021 sensor and I have an old CPU fan hooked up just for testing. I also wired up a couple of waterproof 1-wire sensors I had in a parts bin.
548a678a4ddc6ce8621a0c202ea131a3.jpg

Great!
Always nice to see it working for others. Is the dimming function working well with your combination of driver and LEDs?
Radio failure can happen, they are awfully sensitive to >3.3V and burn easily, I usually always get 1 module on a lot of ten which is bad and burn instantly. If it's working right now you should be good to go forever now.

FYI the mounting holes are designed for High quality 1 set of Simple PCB Circuit Board Mounting Bracket For Mounting DIN Rail Mounting 2x Adapter+5x Screws-in Connectors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to be suspended on a DIN rail. (but of course you can use them for anything else)

Great!
Always nice to see it working for others. Is the dimming function working well with your combination of driver and LEDs?
Radio failure can happen, they are awfully sensitive to >3.3V and burn easily, I usually always get 1 module on a lot of ten which is bad and burn instantly. If it's working right now you should be good to go forever now.

FYI the mounting holes are designed for High quality 1 set of Simple PCB Circuit Board Mounting Bracket For Mounting DIN Rail Mounting 2x Adapter+5x Screws-in Connectors from Home Improvement on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to be suspended on a DIN rail. (but of course you can use them for anything else)

Adjusting the speed of the fan and dimming of the LEDs works great. For the $1-2 cost of the radios I would expect a few failures.

I haven't figured out how I'm placing everything but mounting it all on DIN rail definitely makes sense. As you can see everything is a bit of a mess right now. I currently have the LED cooling fans hooked up to a hardware PWM controller but on or off it doesn't seem to affect the temperature around the plants so I may just remove them and let convection cool them.

Got these in the mail, I'm going to be a busy boy! [emoji2]
6ca1bb0fc54192dd5b353b35ba272d29.jpg

Nice, let me now how it goes.
So far I never had a bad radio module in SMD format (but soldering them is sometimes a little tricky between the battery holder and arduino pin headers)

Are these from PCBs.io or dirtyPCB?

Nice, let me now how it goes.
So far I never had a bad radio module in SMD format (but soldering them is sometimes a little tricky between the battery holder and arduino pin headers)

Are these from PCBs.io or dirtyPCB?

PCBs.io, I ordered 4 and they sent 6.

I mostly use them over OSHpark now, I've been quite pleased by their boards.
I see you also had a clean panelization for them, no mousebits, which is always a nice touch.

I bet they took more than 12 days to fulfill your order, they tend to send extras in these cases (but sometimes you got extras even without any delays)

I mostly use them over OSHpark now, I've been quite pleased by their boards.
I see you also had a clean panelization for them, no mousebits, which is always a nice touch.

I bet they took more than 12 days to fulfill your order, they tend to send extras in these cases (but sometimes you got extras even without any delays)

It took a couple of weeks and when it was completed they created a USPS label December 30 but it didn't get picked up until Jan 5. Then it went from Washington state to Portland to Van Nuys to LA to Vancouver to Toronto to my place. But that's okay since I just got the components today.

Part 2 - Custom PCB and electronic components
I received my PCB and so far everything seems to be working nicely so time for step 2: the control board.
With the electronic components in, it introduces a nice way to control light, humidity, temperature or any other parameters either using an external controller or autonomously.
You can use an array of sensors to provide feedback to the controller and then adapt the light levels and fan speed.

MySGrowLED_3D.png

Description

MySGrowLED_traces.jpg

MySensors module designed for wireless greenhouse automation (nRF24L01, 2.4GHz).

This module allow you to:
- control a primary LED light (5-40V input can be used to power the module)
- control a secondary circuit designed for a CPU PWM fan but can be used for a second light, humidifier, relay or anything else using 12V
- monitor temperature using an optional onboard DS18b20 sensor
- monitor external temperature by plugging external OneWire sensors
- monitor any additional parameters using additional I2C modules such as temperature, humidity, light levels, barometric pressure, etc...

Ordering

Gerber files are included, so you can order these PCB at your favorite PCB fab house.
For an easy ordering process you can directly order these PCB from DirtyPCB or OSH Park without having to do anything.
Components are highly customizable and the default list may not be the best for your specific use, but it will work for most of the cases. Double check that the power supplies, voltage regulators and mosfets are compatible with your project.

Options

This board is designed to be compatible with MySensors but can be used on its own (timer or sensors to control the lights) or another system using 2.4GHz communication if you adapt the arduino code.

ATSHA204 module
For security reason you can add a CryptAuthEE SHA256 chip. This will allow you to sign messages and will secure communications between the node and your gateway (this is not encryption, just signing).
If you only control lights, fan, or other non-essential hardware you probably don't need to bother with this chip.
Signing can also be done at the software level, without the chip if you decide to add this function later.

Eeprom module
This module is only used to perform OTA updates on the node. If you don't plan to use this feature you can also skip this chip.
You will also need to burn a compatible bootloader to your arduino (DualOptiBoot)

Assembly

Once you received your dirty package of PCBs (or any other PCB manufacturer) start by inspecting it carefully to look for scratches, dents, or anything that seems wrong. Do not use the board if you have any concerns.
PCB1.jpg

Markings are a little off, but nothing wrong on this one, good to go!
PCB2.jpg

Start by soldering the optional chips, if you plan to use them.
PCB3.jpg

PCB4.jpg

Then add all other surface mount components. Don't be affraid by their little size, they are actually easy to solder. If you never soldered SMD components before, be sure to look for a few video tutorials first.
PCB5.jpg

Finish by adding the regular through-hole components, starting by the smaller ones.
PCB6.jpg

Plug your arduino module and radio and you are good to go.
PCB7.jpg

Testing

You can upload MySGrowPCB_test to your arduino to test the setup:
- It will look for an ATSHA204 and return its serial number if detected.
- It will look for an eeprom and return its manufacturer ID if detected.
- It will alternatively switch the LED and Fan circuits ON and OFF for 10 seconds.

Usage examples

This module can be used on the DIY LED light exemple included (PCB compared to breadboard design)
PCB8.jpg

PCB9.jpg

Another possible use to control a germination chamber inside a plastic container (PCB compared to previous protoboard design)
PCB10.jpg

PCB11.jpg

Revision history

Version 1.0: Initial release.

Thanks!

Back