What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self watering recirculating pot for outside

I used to live in a condo. I know how it is.

left of trashcan out for an extra day after trash was picked up. HOA sent me a letter saying it would be a $500 fine if I did it again.
left my dog on the balcony for 1 hr while I ran to the grocery store. guess he barked at someone. HOA sent me a letter saying it would be a $500 fine if I did it again.

I no longer live in a condo.

Last edited:
So in the full the it takes around 3.5 weeks for the water level in the bottom container to drop below a point where pump stops working. The highest TDS I have seen was 20ppm.

On the other hand neighborhood kids trigger the traps with sticks. ..literally broken inch thick sticks. How do I know this? Well I turned my older phone into IP camera and recorded several days worth of window creep shots.
Anyone has any idea on how to discourage curious teenagers?

Ummmmmmmm maybe

1f1ec567d4489cb275cdd0cb2f9a5e03.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe a barbed wire cage?

Although your ideas would definitely work and I did consider them seriously!!!, I am leaning towards some kind of a plastic enclosure with holes large enough for the insects to pass through and provide air circulation but small enough for the sticks and fingers not to.

You could get (or make) a fake CCTV camera and mount it to the wall above your plants, with a "You're Being Watched" sign. :p

Kinda worried that a plastic enclosure, even with holes, may overheat in direct sun.

stinging nettles.

Wooden cage frame with ½" plastic mesh on the side/s the pests are gaining access and 1" on the top and other sides. No problem with overheating.

Fred's on the right track, I use a cage to keep squirrels from some of my plants myself, but I suggest a more natural option to keep away kids.

Guaranteed to eat any and all children that bother your plants!:-O

It depends on your condos rules, but maybe you can build something similar to my homemade squirrel cage?
It's just some wood from Home Depot, bird net and some green exterior paint for weather protection.

(Old picture)
8PCxgb7.jpg

It depends on your condos rules, but maybe you can build something similar to my homemade squirrel cage?
It's just some wood from Home Depot, bird net and some green exterior paint for weather protection.

Although this would be perfect, it is definitely against the rules. These ******** from condo association not only have a limit on the pots (2!!!!) that we may have outside but also on what can and can not be kept outside, and this is definitely not going to fly well with them.

I have added a small note "SMILE you are on camera" with the camera picture on the old sign that already asks not trigger the traps, and put the phone/camera back on. You can't miss it. Hopefully this will not cause any rage responses. I would prefer to deter in a way that does not attract so much attention (such as camera) but I can not come up with one just yet.

One other thing I could try is to raise the table with pants higher so that these midgets would not be able to reach them...

Last edited:
One other thing I could try is to raise the table with pants higher so that these midgets would not be able to reach them...

I highly doubt midgets are the only ones messing with your plants. I find it most likely that there are also munchkins, brats and adults that saw your plants and had the same idea as the kids.

Back