What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

experimental pot design

hehehehe the silicone was on sale!!

Yep, the slack pot is very similar, both nested pots but with different goals.
His outer pot is described as being plastic by Barry Rice. The purpose was to provide improved moisture control for the soil mix.
Cooling would have been a secondary benefit.

So I guess its a zeer-slack pot LOL

Nice zeer pot you got there!. How often do you add water in the worst case scenario?

worst case scenario sucked the water in a hurry...
(as you expected ;-) )

after about three hours pot temp started to climb

More suspected than expected. I guess combining it with recirculating solar pump setup and a larger container with water would make it last longer outside.

Is the temp. drop you are seeing sufficient for darlingtonia? Sorry i dont grow these and know next to nothing about the requirements.

actually, I think it will be fine as is as long as I don't put it in the bed of my pick up truck lol

I don't know what to expect to be honest, but I do know that my prior attempts at cobras have resulted in slow declines.
They just don't seem to be able to deal with the occasional +100f August heat.

I'm hopeful this will be enough, we will see :)

I don't know what to expect to be honest, but I do know that my prior attempts at cobras have resulted in slow declines.
They just don't seem to be able to deal with the occasional +100f August heat.

Some friends in Texas have had successes with the plants, by refrigerating the RO water and occasionally applying ice cubes to the compost during the hottest times . . .

Last edited:
oh geeze David, Im way to forgetful to do ice not to mention lazy....

but now if I grew the cobra in a margarita glass :-O
hmmmmmmmm margaritas

I have been pondering combining the zeer pot with a thermosiphon, but just when I get close to an epiphany......

my brain hurtz :)

update

two weeks ago:
z13

today:
z15

Last two weeks have been unusually hot with most days in mid 90's and a couple near 100f
I've been refilling reservoir once a day (mornings)

I have been pondering combining the zeer pot with a thermosiphon, but just when I get close to an epiphany......

my brain hurtz :)

Ephipany, huh? Doesn't that eventually require a truss?

Nah, it's monocoque 🤔

I wonder if a product like turface would be better then sand? Jack

Back