What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My newest, simplist bog garden. (Sharing pics)

Just got this set up a few days ago. It is made out of a 33 gallon extra long aquarium I found at a garage sale for $5. So far it only has some simple, common sarrs in it but I hope to add some rarities in the future.

The whole thing:
IMG_1931.jpg

One of my favorites, S. Minor:
IMG_1932.jpg

A simple but beautiful Judith Hindle:
IMG_1933.jpg

Purp Venosa "Beast" OP just acquired from a trade:
IMG_1934.jpg

Flava, immature pitcher. Im wondering how tall this one is going to be. Fingers crossed its big!
IMG_1935.jpg

And finally a small venus fly trap, saved from Lowes for $2.
IMG_1936.jpg

There is more in there, just nothing worthy of pictures. This will stay outside in the ground all year here in Michigan.

Thanks for looking!
Nick

That's nice! I'm curious to hear how they over winter, as I live in Michigan too and want to make an outdoor bog garden/planter. Where do you live roughly? I'm in northern lower peninsula.

Nice bog, lots of potential.

One thing, though: The aquarium is glass? In the winter months I wouldn't be surprised if it cracks and breaks underground from the freezing. I've ruined many aquariums that way. . .

Could use a buried kid pool. That might hold up better. I wanna try something like that with one of the pond inserts from Lowe's. If it had drain holes with mesh over them it could help with the freezing.

If it cracks ill most likely change to a kiddie pool. I have added many plants so far this year along with sphagnum. I know aerogrower has an outdoor bog that he does not even cover in winter and he says it comes back fine every year. Even through heavy frosts nothing is going dormant yet.

Nick

Back