What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shadehouse Question

Hi everyone, just wondering if the position of this shade house looks ok? I took this photo around 3pm so the Sun shines in the left side of it, the 2nd photo is of the right side and the Sun comes up just above that fencing. All the plants/seeds in there get some shade throughout the day. I'm growing a range of VFT/Drosera/Neps/Sarracenia.

What would be a good way of increasing humidity in there? It gets really hot here in Perth so I don't want to cook the plants haha.

ff17abb980c5dffae04ffc38d92cd7c4.jpg

790459ddc7b54cde4be9faca9c56e5f5.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

VFT and Sarrs could be left outside. Some sort of mister would help humidity. You could also just use a spray bottle at different times of the day.

VFT and Sarrs could be left outside. Some sort of mister would help humidity. You could also just use a spray bottle at different times of the day.
Ahh ok, how would I go about making a misting system? I've looked in the shops over here but couldn't find anything so I think id have to DIY one

I would measure the humidity in there before investing in a misting system (preferrably with plants present.) You may not even need it and sundews tend not to appreciate having water sprayed on them.

True! I didn't think of it that way. What would be the best way if not for the misting system? Just a cheap ultrasonic humidifier or fan? It was more for the Nepenthes I have in the same shadehouse and I'm not sure how they'll react to 45c Weather that's incoming this summer here

45C will be hard on a lot of plants. I imagine it would straight up kill highland tropicals, but lowlanders would enjoy it. Sarracenia probably won't mind too much though.

I get the same temperatures as you, but with high humidity. I even use a couple small fans. In winter it is colder and drier, so I just mist with a spray bottle that I keep in the greenhouse.

If you haven't already, look up evaporative cooling. That's how a misting system works to cool things, and more to the point, it works best when it's hot and dry. I'm guessing you're in Perth, so you might have some luck with one.

As for misting systems, my local Bunnings had some misting lines (used for cooling outdoors entertainment areas), those plus a garden tap timer should work if your tap water is good enough and you can get the timing right. There're other options, but that one's the cheapest and simplest.

I just put a fan in there today actually, I think I need to use a smaller one though and hang it from the crossbeam really

If you haven't already, look up evaporative cooling. That's how a misting system works to cool things, and more to the point, it works best when it's hot and dry. I'm guessing you're in Perth, so you might have some luck with one.

As for misting systems, my local Bunnings had some misting lines (used for cooling outdoors entertainment areas), those plus a garden tap timer should work if your tap water is good enough and you can get the timing right. There're other options, but that one's the cheapest and simplest.

I literally saw your post just after buying a pressure pump...Oh well, I've managed to sort out a mist system fairly cheap, so I'll give it a shot and see how it goes - if not I might grab an evaporative one.

Do the evaporative ones need filling up much?

I literally saw your post just after buying a pressure pump...Oh well, I've managed to sort out a mist system fairly cheap, so I'll give it a shot and see how it goes - if not I might grab an evaporative one.

Do the evaporative ones need filling up much?

Depends on the temperature, in summer they definitely do. Without hacking together a bigger reservoir you might actually find they run out in the middle of the day. That depends on what you buy though.

Back