Informational! Informational!:  7
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mike's Highland Terrarium

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be doing a full update of the terrarium in a few days, I have some stuff in the works that will likely change the setup a bit. For now though, we finally had some sun so i took some of the plants out and got some better photos! I guess it helps when you're not trying to take a photo through water-spotted glass!

N. robcantelyi SG BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

This was hiding in the back of the pot, what a nice surprise!

N. jamban TC BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. jamban TC BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. petiolata TC BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. petiolata TC BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. truncata (g) SG EP by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. truncata (g) SG EP by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. vogelii TC BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. vogelii TC BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. mira TC BE by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. deaniana SG JH by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

N. deaniana SG JH by Mike Fallen, on Flickr
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could I ask where you got your Robcantleyi from? Also what is the BE number that came with it? That was a great surprise with the hidden pitcher!

Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnigrower01 View Post
    Could I ask where you got your Robcantleyi from? Also what is the BE number that came with it? That was a great surprise with the hidden pitcher!

Mark
    This plant has quite the story behind it. It's one of the original SG plants that BE released, well, a basal from one. The main growth point of this plant was up to almost 16" in diameter before I stupidly left it (and some of my orchids) outside when the first frost hit about 2 years ago. The leaves/stem turned black and mushy so I hacked the stem back to almost soil level, I thought it was a goner but after about 6 months of no growth it finally formed a basal rosette. Early last year I separated the basal from the old stem and now it's finally growing normally again. Goes to show how tough nepenthes can be!

As for where to get one, it seems some find there way on to eBay occasionally but other than that, I haven't seen many for sale. This particular plant was from Anthony Paroubek, but it appears he's now out of business.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the detailed info, I received 2 rob sg in 2012, which was the last batch of seed grown to come from BE, unfortunately my electric failed when I was away for 2 months in the dead of winter, came home and they were completely dead, I replaced one last year at the ICPS conference, but it is just one of the random 550 clones of Robcantleyi. Really well done with the trials you've had with yours!

Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update time!

Out with the old... by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

Obviously, some things have changed...

The terrarium was a great idea in theory but after using it for about two months I realized it just wasn't for me. It had a few shortcomings but the biggest problem for me was the lack of space, I was able to completely fill the tank within 2 months and with the existing plants growing and more nepenthes on the way (and two orchid shows over the next two weekends ) it just wasn't going to work out, even short term. So I decided to upgrade...

...and in with the new! by Mike Fallen, on Flickr

My local hydroponics store had a sale going on, so I picked up this 55" x 55" x 78" Agromax growtent and some new lights for a really good price. Besides the extra space, I now have ducts that can route cool, outside air in or hot air out as needed which has allowed me to maintain near perfect highland conditions, I also hooked up my window AC unit for hot summer nights when I'm not going to be able to cool the chamber with outside air. A Mistking misting system is now being used to better maintain humidity as my old DIY humidifier just wasn't cutting it. Overall, I think this setup should be able to better suit my needs and should also work out better for my plants as they grow. I'll need to get some update pics of the individual plants as everything is growing quickly but for now, heres a pic through the window of the tent.

Tent overview by Mike Fallen, on Flickr
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The constant battle for space is all to familiar. Soon enough you'll be upgrading grow spaces again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one of these tents gathering dust, i really should be it at to again as side is becoming a massive issue! Love your masdevallia?s, i used to have a stunning one called midnight plum, from my local orchid society, i lost it years ago and the last that created it no longer grows orchids and can't find anywhere.

Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnigrower01 View Post
    I've got one of these tents gathering dust, i really should be it at to again as side is becoming a massive issue! Love your masdevallia?s, i used to have a stunning one called midnight plum, from my local orchid society, i lost it years ago and the last that created it no longer grows orchids and can't find anywhere.

Mark
    Yep, those are all masdies, the ones pictured are my current 'project' plants. They're mostly new divisions that have just recently established themselves, I'm starting to see new growth so hopefully I'll get some blooms soon too. You should get the dust off your tent and get it set up, especially if your having space issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Moss View Post
    The constant battle for space is all to familiar. Soon enough you'll be upgrading grow spaces again.
    I'm certain this is not the last upgrade. I was looking at the possibility of an actual greenhouse but due to the fact that I'm moving next summer, that option wasn't too feasible. This should at least last me a year or two (hopefully...)
    Last edited by mikefallen13; 03-17-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast