Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnivorous Plant Terrarium Planting Methods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carnivorous Plant Terrarium Planting Methods

I'm in the process of building my carnivorous plant terrarium (only my 2nd attempt, the 1st failed horribly) so I'd say I am very new working with cp's. After my first attempt and terrible failure I did quite a bit of research into building terrariums.

I have the planting medium which is New Zealand peat moss, silica sand, and perlite. I know many terrarium growers keep their plants in individual pots inside the terrarium; however, I plan to plant directly in the medium.

I realize different species require different care and I have taken a great deal of time designing my terrarium using acrylic and wood separators; a well for run off, flushing, and siphoning; three different levels to control moisture, etc. and I have incorporated a low speed fan as well.

I am wondering if anyone has tried similar options and if anyone here has any additional thoughts, ideas, or advice to share. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big of a terrarium are you planning? I have often thought of this. I would suggest leaving out temperate species so you dont have to worry about dormancy. Do you have any progress photos??

Sent from my S7 Edge via Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I'm only working on a 10 gallon terrarium as a second, far, far more "engineered" design that has taken me months to build. The first attempt was in the same terrarium with washed pea gravel with peat moss on top and clearly I didn't have a clue what I was doing.

At this point I'm planning on planting Drosera, a variety of pitchers and fly traps just to name a few. I'm using specially designed, high-power (24 volt, 6 amp) LED lighting strips in the 6250 Kelvin range, 110 volt 4" fan, and two non-typical products under my soil medium of New Zealand peat moss, silica sand, and organic perlite. I have cut 3 aluminum bars to go across the top to both support the fan and the LEDs, and I have used specially cut acrylic to provide different heights for drainage so that all water that goes into the tank ends up in a well toward the front which I can use a siphon to drain as needed. I used silicone to glue them to the sides of the tank.

I seem to be having issues attaching photos, but I will add some if I figure out how to give this app access. I appreciate your input and interest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything sounds good. Im eager to see it put together. Did you make your own led lights?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and no... I bought a kit in which the LED's come in self-adhesive strips that can be cut at every two inches. Then you can solder, or buy solderless connectors (my choice) to connect the length of strips you have cut. I bought a 5' reel (they come full-length on an old film type reel) which I will cut into (3) 18" strips which I will stick to the bottom of my aluminum bars. You can then connect the strips to the power supply, again soldered or solderless connectors. You can select kits by length, spectrum(s), lumens, CRI, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very kool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're familiar with artificial light... I've been reading a lot and many seem to think that 6700K is the sweet spot. I chose 6250K. To my interpretation that will suit all cp's. I've been looking at spectrum charts and trying to decipher the nanometers versus Kelvin temps. From my reading, I know that chlorophyll A and B require red and blue light, but you also want the bright white for a nice appearance to the human eye. From what I understand, 6250K covers the bases. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the look of the purple/red grow lights. That is just my personal preference. I am currently using 12v automotive HID lights at 6000k. I am in the experimental stages still so any info is usless at this point. I do believe that 6-6500k is sufficent for most plants and is also appealing to the eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast