What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full-spectrum LED screw-in replacement bulbs?

• Thread starter seedjar
  • Start date

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I'm mostly using T5HO fixtures currently and have been meaning to set up a few specimens apart from my plant racks under their own lamps. At first I thought I'd shop around for CFLs, but then I remembered those full-spectrum screw-in LED replacements. Not that I am uninterested in horticultural-grade LEDs - I just want something I can read by right now. Is anybody using LED screw-in bulbs with any success? It used to be that with some hunting you could find high-wattage CFLs that put out an acceptable amount of light for Nepenthes and undemanding Drosera. Anything like that? I'd prefer to use just one bulb.
Thanks,
~Joe

I've been using a couple of bulbs like this in my orchidarium with success for the past year. I have one from that 4-pack which isn't exactly the optimal color temperature and another bulb on the more red side in the orchidarium, but I did initially grow a few orchids under just the one reddish bulb. Several orchids have flowered for me in the setup and I've got an Utricularia alpina in there as well. I've had to jockey around the orchids because some of them can't handle being too close to the bulbs and some are more tolerant. They do put out some heat but possibly less than CFLs. My orchidarium is in the basement here in Portland, Oregon and it still gets to around 70°F with a fogger running and the two lights in there.

[MENTION=8617]bluemax[/MENTION] uses screw-in LED bulbs too for some plants. There's no reason why a given product wouldn't work if the bulbs are rated at an appropriate color temperature for plants. You just want to make sure you find a high quality product to ensure reliability and better power efficiency.

I found some 90W replacement flood bulbs at Home Depot. They 1000 looms at 5000k. I'm growing some D. Pulchella from gamma right now just fine. It was like $9 for a two pack.

It seems like all those LED's meant to replace florescent and incandescent bulbs work. I've found that the long T8 replacement LED's work just as well. I'd assume that any white LED would be workable for plants.

Yes any white LEDs will work. They function in basically the same way as fluorescent bulbs by emitting high energy electromagnetic radiation (for fluorescents, UV, for LEDs, blue) and the bulbs are coated in phosphors (this is why white LEDs appear yellow when off) which absorb this and emit lower energy electromagnetic radiation (the rest of the colors.) The phosphors are obviously a bit different in each, with fluorescent phosphors emitting several very narrow ranges of light wavelengths, while LED phosphors emit more of a continuous spectrum. Plants don't really care either way but as we all know, LEDS are more energy-efficient so it benefits us.

Cool, thanks folks. I know they've generally got the right spectra, was just wondering about the intensity 'cuz most of the ones I come across are equivalent to 60W incandescents, tops. For my purposes if I have to use more than one bulb/fixture I'd rather just go with a small HID or some short T5s. Those floodlights sound good, I'll see what I can find.
~Joe

Yes usually those bulbs are only powerful enough for a small area. People will put them in spotlight-type lamps to focus the light on a couple plants, or even just one. You can also set up rows of bulbs to cover larger areas, something I know [MENTION=8617]bluemax[/MENTION] did but can't find the pictures he posted.

I'm building custom fixtures and using multiple bulbs doesn't mesh well with other parts of my design. I only need to light one plant at a time, and for proof of concept I can have the lamp pretty close. I'm really only limited by heat dissipation. For small versions I can probably fit 3"-8" height, and maybe as much as 18" in a big build. So I'll probably get a few clip lamps and do a trial with various incandescent replacements. The floodlight ones look great - some maybe even too powerful for this particular need. It would be ideal if I could find one with a narrow emission angle like a floodlight/spotlight but more in the power range of household lamps.
~Joe

I'm building custom fixtures and using multiple bulbs doesn't mesh well with other parts of my design. I only need to light one plant at a time, and for proof of concept I can have the lamp pretty close. I'm really only limited by heat dissipation. For small versions I can probably fit 3"-8" height, and maybe as much as 18" in a big build. So I'll probably get a few clip lamps and do a trial with various incandescent replacements. The floodlight ones look great - some maybe even too powerful for this particular need. It would be ideal if I could find one with a narrow emission angle like a floodlight/spotlight but more in the power range of household lamps.
~Joe

I bought some full spectrum spotlights from Amazon. They're made by MarsHydro. I use MarsHydro 300s as my main indoor grow lights. Amazon.com : MarsHydro 24W LED Grow Light E26/E27 for Home Organic Bulb RED+BLUE New Style for small plants : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Good growing,
Mike

Thanks Mike. That's closer in some ways but I meant the full visible spectrum. Not sure why LED grow lights advertise as full spectrum these days but I guess they're talking specifically about the PAR spectrum. This project is meant to be displayed in living spaces, not just a grow setup. PAR-only bulbs are too harsh on the eyes.
~Joe

Red/blue is NOT the same thing as PAR as PAR encompasses pretty much all visible light. It is a common misconception that plants can only use red and blue light, which is why there are so many of these red/blue lights on the market. White light has the capability to provide more energy to plants because green light is actually better at penetrating deeper into the leaf and reaching more chloroplasts (the leaves tend to be green to reflect the green light around inside the leaf to aid this process.) The one thing red/blue lights will do is promote more anthocyanin production compared to white lights, so plants will color up more (though you need to turn those lights off to actually see it.)

Oh, I'm aware. I was abusing the term as shorthand to differentiate from bulbs designed to emit the visible spectra. Perhaps I should've said "PAR curve" instead of "PAR spectrum." I was referring to the spectral distribution, not just range. In any case, in the context of my OP, my needs are for full-visible-spectrum, white light.
~Joe

Not sure why LED grow lights advertise as full spectrum these days
I think it was originally for LEDs that emit a purple "broad spectrum" (blue LED + phosphor coating based lights) compared to previous generation which was "2 wavelength" spectrum (red+blue).
Nothing you can buy is really "full spectrum" anyway.

To answer your question, these LEDARE LED bulb E26 1800 lumen - IKEA are surprisingly bright (1800lm, not sure I saw more that this for a single everyday bulb) and cheap, but not super efficient (~22W)
You will find a lot of ~1500lm bulbs at Home Depot that draw ~16W which in my opinion are better on the long run, such as Cree 120W Equivalent Bright White (3000K) PAR38 Dimmable LED 25 Degree Spot Light Bulb-SPAR38-1503025TD-12DE26-1-11 - The Home Depot

If you are looking outside of "everyday bulb" you can find some pretty amazing things, such as a 40W 5000lm bulb Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight E28 HID Post Top LED Replacement Light Bulb-469163 - The Home Depot but for the same price you can get some sweet DIY fixtures.

White LEDs are pretty much full spectrum. While fluorescent phosphors emit several narrow ranges of specific wavelengths, LED phosphors actually emit a pretty continuous spectrum. The LED graphs here are pretty exaggerated outside the color temperature range anyone would use (and many LEDs have a bit of a peak in the red zone too,) but you get the general idea.

visible-light-new-grad-optometry-crizal-prevencia.png

I'll throw in my two bits worth as well. I am currently using both standard LED replacement bulbs in the 60 and 100-watt equivalent size and for my terrarium I use LED spotlights. If you have room for large enough reflectors the standard bulb-type are certainly available for lower prices. The spotlights are more compact and generally don't require reflectors to focus their light in one direction. There is a big difference between products as far as how long they will last. Almost everyone claims something like 45,000 hours life but many will be dead inside of a year of usage. I suggest people either buy cheap or get a warranty. I like these after about 11 months of constant use: Lemonbest Pack of 2 pcs High Power 9W E27 Base COB PAR20 LED Flood Down Light Ceiling Spotlight, Cool White - - Amazon.com Here is my current indoor setup. All Things Petiolaris

Last edited:
Back