What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium made out of a polystyrene cooler

Hello, I want to make an enclosure out of a polystyrene cooler. my reasoning behind this is to insulate the enclosure, im planning to install a peltier cooling system - i had one working in the past that cooled my old enclosure down by about 10 degrees but this should be more efficient and possibly stronger (this will be attached to a thermostat). I want to do this so my cephalotus can experience cooler nights something that isn't possible in florida (all year) or in my house. I am planning to turn the cooler on its side so the lid area becomes the front of the enclosure, I am planning on installing a sliding glass door, ill put it far back enough so when I am done observing or maintaining the plants I can put the coolers lid back on for better insulation. now this is something im not to sure about, the lighting. I think my only option is led because i think the others would give off way too much heat. I have decided I will use these: LED Strip Lights - SunBlaster Lighting. I think these will be sufficent but im not 100% sure. btw I think i would be installing these things with mostly 3m double sided tape but im not really sure if thats ok for Styrofoam. do you guys think this is feasable, if this works out who knows I might make another for highland neps. Thank you for your time! :D

Last edited:
I'd start out by getting the weight of those lights. Then testing if the polystyrene cooler would hold that amount of weight on it's side. Then find out (or test) how much weight double sided tape will hold, and see if it will stick to polystyrene and metal of the light fixture. To complicate things, if the cooler is kept moist, the moisture will affect how well the tape holds, thus, more testing might be needed for that.

Just thinking off the top of my head . . .
Good Luck! :D

Last edited:
3m double sided tape is really really strong and says that it can bond to foam and metal it is also moisture resistant but good idea with the weight test if it seems to be not stable ill add some type of supports.

EDIT: Im getting the VHB kind

Last edited:
I'd start out by getting the weight of those lights. Then testing if the polystyrene cooler would hold that amount of weight on it's side. Then find out (or test) how much weight double sided tape will hold, and see if it will stick to polystyrene and metal of the light fixture. To complicate things, if the cooler is kept moist, the moisture will affect how well the tape holds, thus, more testing might be needed for that.

Just thinking off the top of my head . . .
Good Luck! :D

Do you think i should buy more than 1 light?

Actually, I don't know much about those lights. I'm sure growers who have experience with them will chime in soon!
Good Luck!
:D

Back