Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Managing Dormancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that these plants need dormancy to thrive. I assume the temperature drop is necessary for the dormancy. My problem is that my plan is to plant directly into the terrarium w/o containers. I obviously can't refrigerate the entire terrarium.

I just had a thoughts about cooling using PC CPU radiator type cooling. Hmm.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Austin so temps very rarely fall into the 20s. Outside could work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardware:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fan cooling would not work unfortunately. Austin should be good for a lot of the NA cps as they grow in the southeast into the Gulf Coast. You'll just have to make sure that the terrarium does not up too much if you put it outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dormancy is triggered by shorter photo periods more so than temperature. So, cutting down the time your lights are on should do a good job of making them dormant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I may not necessarily need to reduce the temperature just by providing less light? It would be possible for me to move the terrarium outside but we have some unusual winters. This winter has been one... I have two huge, three year old Boston ferns that I have just covered in the past. This winter we had one 19 night (highly unusual for South Texas) and they barely survived. Then we will have following days in the upper 80s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would do under stipulated conditions:
    In Sept. gradually step down the amount of light the plants get until it is roughly equal outside light at the end of Oct.. At the end of Oct. put the plants outside, in the shade and out of the wind and then leave them there until Feb., then bring them back inside and gradually increase light levels to whatever you deem necessary.

What I would do if at all possible:
    Grow the plants entirely outside.

Just in case you are unaware, there is no dormancy needed for Drosera aliciae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the suggestions. I was told emphatically by a professional vft grower that, no matter what I did, vft's will *never* thrive in a terrarium. My thoughts were I could design a terrarium to prove them wrong. However, the more feedback I get, I'm beginning to doubt that will be possible.

I live in an apartment and the location of the terrarium gets very little natural light and no direct light. Any direct light would be artificial.

I didn't know about the D. Aliciae not needing dormancy - thanks. I may have to choose my plants for the environment instead of the other way around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast