What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help in misting system for a outdoor growing shelf

• Thread starter patrickntd
  • Start date
I tried to make a misting system for my 6x8ft growing shelf outdoor. The water inlet is from rain barrel. I got a 116 psi pressure water pump and a patio water misting system (like this onehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Garden-Patio-Water-Misting-Cooling-System-Sprinkler-Nozzle-Micro-Irrigation-Set/252027606524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649) online. However, they do not work out well since the water pressure is too high to burst off the nozzles.

I wonder if anyone here is using the pressure water pump with similar pressure. Can you share with me what kind of tubing and nozzles should be used?

Thank you and happy growing,

Patrick

You can do what we sometimes do in saltwater tanks by putting a diverter on the outlet pipe of the pump with a valve. Place the diverter back into the rain barrel. Doing so you can lower the pressure of the water going to the misting system.

You can also put a pressure regulator on the pipe before the misters, but doing so will burn out the pump prematurely.

Thanks Raistlarn. I also think of diverter method. I haven't done it because I think the find tuning of the pressure is not easy. I will explore it again. Thanks

It's not easy, but it's doable. I would open the valve on the diverter all the way open. Then slowly close it until you get the pressure you want.

I believe you can also get a valve that can be fine tuned, but they aren't cheap. I think they are called needle valves.

Last edited:
Back