Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electrostatic warning on LEDs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electrostatic warning on LEDs

I received 5 high-ouput rigid LED strips today (1010 Lm output at 50 degrees C), and there is a warning on the package that says:
    "CAUTION!
    ELECTROSTATIC
    SENSITIVE
    DEVICES

DO NOT OPEN OR HANDLE
    EXCEPT AT A
    STATIC-FREE WORKSTATION
    "
    It also has what I now know to be the standard electrostatic warning symbol (the little hand with the slash through it in the triangle). If I had known when ordering that I would have to take special precautions to put these things in place in a terrarium, I may not have bothered...but here we are. How vulnerable might these be to electrostatic overloads? Apparently precautions can involve a grounded table and static-free clothes, shoes, gloves, etc.--how important are these? I cannot transport my terrarium from where it is right now. Is the static only an issue if I touch the electrodes? To what degree, if any, is the company simply trying not to be sued? I believe I have access to a static-free workstation, but it's more the static that I'm sure I produce naturally that concerns me.
    Last edited by schmiggle; 09-08-2017 at 08:46 AM.
    The worst thing [about being an adult] is when you realize that oreos are just OK
    --Zach Weinersmith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It says that on almost all electrical components. It just means make sure your grounded before handling the strips. Once it's in the hood I wouldn't worry too much about it... Unless you start messing with the LEDs again.
    Last edited by Raistlarn; 09-08-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    raistlarns growlist
    Wishlist/Wants: Drosera zonaria, Drosera peltata, Genlisea(any), Pinguicula cyclosecta, Pinguicula 'Florian'

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's a pretty standard warning for electronic components. Basically all you need to do is ground yourself (touch an unpainted metal object) before handling the LEDs, to make sure you don't have static charge built up that could damage the LEDs. Walking on carpet and wearing certain types of clothing (IE fleece) are common sources of static charge and should be avoided.