What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electrostatic warning on LEDs

• Thread starter schmiggle
  • Start date
I received 5 high-ouput rigid LED strips today (1010 Lm output at 50 degrees C), and there is a warning on the package that says:
"CAUTION!
ELECTROSTATIC
SENSITIVE
DEVICES

DO NOT OPEN OR HANDLE
EXCEPT AT A
STATIC-FREE WORKSTATION
"
It also has what I now know to be the standard electrostatic warning symbol (the little hand with the slash through it in the triangle). If I had known when ordering that I would have to take special precautions to put these things in place in a terrarium, I may not have bothered...but here we are. How vulnerable might these be to electrostatic overloads? Apparently precautions can involve a grounded table and static-free clothes, shoes, gloves, etc.--how important are these? I cannot transport my terrarium from where it is right now. Is the static only an issue if I touch the electrodes? To what degree, if any, is the company simply trying not to be sued? I believe I have access to a static-free workstation, but it's more the static that I'm sure I produce naturally that concerns me.

Last edited:
It says that on almost all electrical components. It just means make sure your grounded before handling the strips. Once it's in the hood I wouldn't worry too much about it... Unless you start messing with the LEDs again.

Last edited:
Yeah that's a pretty standard warning for electronic components. Basically all you need to do is ground yourself (touch an unpainted metal object) before handling the LEDs, to make sure you don't have static charge built up that could damage the LEDs. Walking on carpet and wearing certain types of clothing (IE fleece) are common sources of static charge and should be avoided.

Back