User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South window terrarium build, help me design it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the thought of having the Nepenthes grow out of the top of the tank a bit might give it a cool look. If it grows wide, I can always have it take up more than one of the 8 "spaces" that I have in the tank

What Nepenthes would you recommend that is A/ small and B/ not stupidly expensive? Also, where do you get it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately a lot of the miniature species are expensive and harder to keep. There is a maxima form, maxima mini, that stays smaller but would probably still fill most of a terrarium with its leafspan but is not too expensive and is as easy as any other maxima. I know that you can get ventricosa and sanguinea at least from here on flytrapshop.com.

If you're looking for something else this website has a pretty good list of US based nepenthes sellers- http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/vendors.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll check it out. Seems to me that a lot of places do not have a lot to offer right now in wintertime. Go figure....

I suppose that a smaller variety of pitcher plant can be occasionally pruned to keep it from getting ton large (and for taking cuttings)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had another thought... I could always start a young Nepenthes in the terrarium. When it gets too big, I can move it to the windowsill or trade it for a new small one to go into the terrarium. Kind of like a slow revolving grow list!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go the route of regular pruning you'll want a quick vining species. The bonus is that you'll have a lot of practice with taking and rooting cuttings this way and will have a regular supply of trading material. For pruning nepenthes one thing you'll generally want to make sure before doing any cuts is to make sure there is an alternate growth point already going so you won't lose the main plant if it doesn't activate any nodes in response to you cutting it down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I am going to pruning route, or the rotational route, am I just asking to kill a N Ampullaria under the growing conditions I have described? I am not worried about Spring-Fall. But in winter, that window gets down into the mid 60s and that sounds a little low
    Last edited by Captotterboy; 12-07-2017 at 12:58 PM.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been a fan of Moss Scape themed terrariums.

I would reccomend against nepenthes, because they require far more care than what
    can be adequately given in a small terrarium. Also, In my experience, they never did as well as I would have liked to see.

What i would reccomend - Possibly some jewel orchids,
    smaller dew species like pygmies, or better yet, a terrestrial utric like U. Subulata.
    they will cover peat moss hills and turn them into a grassy/mossy rolling hills like area

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice.

I was not going to do a planted terrarium. Instead, I was going to have each plant in an individual pot to make maintenance easier

I hope I am using the right terminology and not throwing everyone off

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12