What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indoor Sphganum Farm

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I recently setup my new indoor sphagnum farm for a self sustaining source of live moss.

This is using some sphagnum from Florida I'm hoping it will be content growing indoors and in terrariums year round unlike northern temperate sphagnum which tends to get unhappy after a while indoors.

The box is a 60 quart clear tub with clear lid

The substrate is sphagnum peat moss and sand

Step 1: Trimming the top 2-3 inches of live portions from the ropes of live moss
sphagnum_1.jpg

Step 2: Placing the pieces of live sphagnum into holes poked in the substrate with a pencil.
sphagnum_2.jpg

Step 3: I mist the finished planting heavily with 10-1 water & peroxide solution to kill any fungi which might be lurking.
sphagnum_3.jpg

Step 4: Wait...

Will show some more pics later when it grows in.

Here is the sphagnum planting after 10 days

sphagnum_4_10days.jpg

You can see it's grown in about an inch or so and greened up some. At some point since planting I did give it a light misting of urea free Grow More orchid fertilizer 20-10-20. Currently it's not directly lit, the sphagnum tub just sits next to my Nepenthes cutting chamber and gets the light bleed from a 110 W twin tube T5 High Output fixture.

Back