What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fogger vs Mister?

I'm looking to build my first Nepenthes tank and was just wondering what the difference between using a fogger or a mist. Is it two different method to accomplish the same thing?

I'm looking to build my first Nepenthes tank and was just wondering what the difference between using a fogger or a mist. Is it two different method to accomplish the same thing?
I use a mister to water my plants, whereas I use a fogger to keep humidity up.

The difference is in the size of the water droplets and how they are produced. A fogger usually uses either ultrasonic(cool mist) or heat to create very small particles of water. A mister usually uses a pump to force water through a nozzle, which gets you bigger water particles. Sometimes you see ultrasonic foggers labeled as misters, but if it uses anything besides a nozzle it's a fogger.

I use a mister to water my plants, whereas I use a fogger to keep humidity up.

The difference is in the size of the water droplets and how they are produced. A fogger usually uses either ultrasonic(cool mist) or heat to create very small particles of water. A mister usually uses a pump to force water through a nozzle, which gets you bigger water particles. Sometimes you see ultrasonic foggers labeled as misters, but if it uses anything besides a nozzle it's a fogger.

I understand how they work. I was just wondering the end functionality of the end result. would a mister not only water the plant but rais the humidity as well?

Oh I thought you wanted the difference. The difference is in how they work. You can use a mister to raise humidity, but it won't be as effective as a fogger. On the other hand a mister is more effective at watering plants. I use both in my mini-greenhouse, but I use them for different roles.

I'm just thinking to have both in a 30 gat tank might be overkill/visually messy.

I feel like if you use a mister to raise humidity your plants may end up constantly wet. A mister will wet/water items, whereas a fogger allows water to float in the air, raising humidity but not wetting items as much.

I run a 1000psi fogger in my greenhouses, the difference isn't the equipment used it's the size of the water particles created. My system forces water through small nozzles but since it's such a high pressure the water droplets are tiny and float in the air. I think I would aim for a fogger of sort for humidity but you may need to water as normal.

Mistking will produce smaller droplets than other manufacturers. Plus you can add timer, duration etc....

IMO the very best solution is to have both.

Mister will get your plants wet, and at the same time raise humidity. But you don't want to be soaking your plants to raise humidity.

A fogger or ultrafine mist will provide a constant source of damp air, but this can also saturate the air and lead to getting plants wet, but is a much better source of constant humidity if set on a timer or hygrostat. But, is an inefficient way to apply overhead watering.

So.....

Best solution is to have both - say misting on longer intervals, and controlling humidity with a fogger or ultrafine mist.

___

That being said, maintenance-wise, foggers can be a burden and expensive to replace the piezoelectric element. Also, if you put a residential fogger (one you buy at a pharmacy) inside of a tent or tank, it will quickly rust because of the high humidity. Also, algae and residue develops on the element over time, which means you have to clean or replace it. Mine have ever lasted typically 3-6 months, max, and I've tried many from pond foggers to full units. If you can duct it in, that's better but you still have to be cautious about leakage in the tubing (the droplets condense on the duct), and it's going to be ugly.

Misters are much simpler, with the nozzle filters needing to be replaced only every year or so (with my water conditions anyways). So also much lower cost of ownership.

If you go fog, plants can grow really well because of the humidity regulation, but you will probably run out of money or time to keep it up.

___

My recommendation:

Have a mist-king, and a body of water in the tank that has an air stone. If you want to get fancy try the fogger but it's probably not going to be worth it in the long run.

Back