What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Floating Sarracenia bog garden

• Thread starter flora
  • Start date
Hi everyone!! It has been some time since I have been able to connect with you all. There have been many downs and a few ups, but long story short, I lost most ( between 50%-70% ) of my collection in the last few moves and have mostly Sarracenia left. They were doing good finally this last growing season and some even flowered, but then we moved again. We are finally back in Oregon ( Hooray! ) and I have been blessed with a beautiful empty in ground bathtub pond with small fountain. It it just the cement shell fountain and the tub with a nice little cement boarder around it. Since I had to bare root my plants for the move and it's only been about a week or so, I figured why not take this opportunity to create a beautiful pond with bog islands.

My question is, how does one go about building a floating island for Sarracenia? Most of mine are medium to large in size and not quite waking up from dormancy yet. Can you make an island out of household odds and ends? Is it better to make several small ones or just a couple big ones?

My plan is to get a solar water pump for the summer months and just let it be after planting. Any advice or tips would be really appreciated.

Thank you all and it's good to be back!

-Tiffany

Welcome back to the PNW! (Although sorry to hear of your losses along the way)

Your vision of a floating bog garden is really intriguing! I only have small potted bogs, but have been really interested in a concept I saw. If you search the internet for "Carnivorous Plant Rock Gardens" or "Bathtub Carnivores", I think you'll quickly find some ideas with carnivorous plants (mostly sarracenia), "potted" into porous rocks and supported within a pond/bathtub area. They aren't really "floating" but your description brought those rock garden videos to mind. It's a project for my "someday" wish-list.

I'll love to see what you come up with!

. . . how does one go about building a floating island for Sarracenia? Can you make an island out of household odds and ends?

Look up "floating pond planter" and you will find many types that are for sale (also look up pictures for inspiration). You can also find many DIY instructions for floating pond planters too.

Sounds like a fun project. Good Luck! :D

Back