What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fridge to highland terrarium--sensible?

• Thread starter schmiggle
  • Start date
I have been trying to figure out a better way to cool my highland terrarium than simply putting in ice bottles. Today an idea occurred to me that seemed very simple--remove the compressor, the evaporator, and the tubing from an existing fridge, hook it up to a thermostat inside the terrarium, and stick it all right on the outside, essentially turning the terrarium into a refrigerator (but obviously a significantly warmer one). This seems suspiciously simple, but I've never seen it done before, so am I missing something? I should have a free mini-fridge available, so that isn't a problem, and it seemed more energetically efficient than drilling holes in the side of a refrigerator and sticking a whole bunch of tubing with water inside and around the terrarium and pumping it through.

Back