What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think I should do with this terrarium?

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello everyone! I have this "small-tall Exo Terra" terrarium. It is 12"x12"x24tall as seen here: https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Glass-Terrarium-24-Inch/dp/B000OAYXTK
I'm thinking of setting this up inside in my living space so I would like to think of something cool to do with it. Obviously with my 2 greenhouses I've pretty much got the basics taken care of, so I'm thinking of going somewhat extreme with the climates here... With the height, I'm thinking Neps could be an option, till they get bigger... I can't really see putting just petiolaris dews in it (for example), seems like a waste of space given the height.
So, what do you think would be cool to do? I'm assuming HL, UHL, and LL Nepenthes will be top pics, but please no matter what you think, please be specific and give a plant list of what you think should go in there.
Thanks!
Andrew

Personally, i'd go with micro mini orchids and perhaps one of the arboreal utrics in addition to other plants like a small bromeliad.

Giant millipedes, ones that like to climb (eg - Colossobolus giganteus). :bigthumpup:

Giant millipedes, ones that like to climb (eg - Colossobolus giganteus). :bigthumpup:

Well if wild life is an option, I'd go with one of the colorful arboreal tarantulas. :spider:

I'm sticking to plants for this one. I think there is enough life around the house (Although my wife and daughter are trying to talk me into adding Sugar Gliders to the mix).
[MENTION=8730]DragonsEye[/MENTION] I don't know anything about those, they require just normal intermediate climate right? Those are mounted on a branch (or whatever is used) are there ones with different light requirements so that the whole height can be used as you get closer and further from the light?

I'm sticking to plants for this one. I think there is enough life around the house (Although my wife and daughter are trying to talk me into adding Sugar Gliders to the mix).
[MENTION=8730]DragonsEye[/MENTION] I don't know anything about those, they require just normal intermediate climate right? Those are mounted on a branch (or whatever is used) are there ones with different light requirements so that the whole height can be used as you get closer and further from the light?

Orchids are the largest of all the flowering plant Families with members adapted to a staggering array of niches. (There are even a few adapted to arid desert regions.) A great place to check out is Andy's Orchids ... Though I strongly suggest you leave your wallet/credit cards locked away/out of reach before perusing his site. It can be a very, very dangerous place to visit otherwise. :devil:

Once you get a rough idea of what you might like, let me know. There are a host of other companion plants you can utilize as well. I have a couple planted terrs and occasionally sell/trade plant divisions off to other folks.

Last edited:
I'm thinking if you don't do orchids, you should put some pings in there, or anything with really nice flowers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Orchids are the largest of all the flowering plant Families with members adapted to a staggering array of niches. (There are even a few adapted to arid desert regions.) A great place to check out is Andy's Orchids ... Though I strongly suggest you leave your wallet/credit cards locked away/out of reach before perusing his site. It can be a very, very dangerous place to visit otherwise. :devil:

Once you get a rough idea of what you might like, let me know. There are a host of other companion plants you can utilize as well. I have a couple planted terrs and occasionally sell/trade plant divisions off to other folks.

Ah, ok. I didn't know if the mini ones you were referencing were from a specific climate or something. I've glanced around but didn't see any but, do you have photos of your planted tanks? I'd love to see an example!

I'm thinking if you don't do orchids, you should put some pings in there, or anything with really nice flowers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I think I have Pinguicula represented pretty well out in the greenhouses. I couldn't really see setting up this tall tank for them inside.

Ah, ok. I didn't know if the mini ones you were referencing were from a specific climate or something.

There are mini's and micro mini's from all sorts of climates ... Hence my referring to Andy's website as he lists the temperature and lighting preferences for each of the orchid species he carries. That way you can not only get an idea of what plants would work best for your temperature conditions but also where in the tank they would best be situated.

I've glanced around but didn't see any but, do you have photos of your planted tanks? I'd love to see an example!

My tanks are currently in the slow process of being torn apart and redone. Here are a few old photos:

Note: My tanks are all rather large.

Back