What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desktop Terrarium?

• Thread starter Vbkid
  • Start date

Vbkid

Getting There...
Hi all!

So I have a desire to keep a few CPs on my desk at work. while I'm in cubicle land, I have a rather large work space and would like to build maybe a 1x1 or 1x2 ft terrarium for display on my desk. As it would be at work, I would need to it be presentable in the sense of minimal plugs/wire etc.
I think I have 3 questions to start out.
1) Lighting. I feel like LEDs are the way to go in that they are small, but I've only ever dealt with fluorescents! Is there an easy way for me to rig up a small cover with LEDs for a small terrarium? Is heat an issue?
2) Air flow. Obviously, I'll need a fan, but I'd like to keep noise down. Is there an especially small fan that could meet my needs?
3) Has anyone done this before? I'm sure it's not a new idea, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kyle

You could probably grow a Nepenthes ventrata without the tank if you have the right temperatures. You'll just need supplemental lighting, and to water it every once in a while. The only down side is they get big, but you could keep trimming it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

1) Lighting. I feel like LEDs are the way to go in that they are small, but I've only ever dealt with fluorescents! Is there an easy way for me to rig up a small cover with LEDs for a small terrarium? Is heat an issue?
2) Air flow. Obviously, I'll need a fan, but I'd like to keep noise down. Is there an especially small fan that could meet my needs?
3) Has anyone done this before? I'm sure it's not a new idea, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1. Maybe something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Va...ivalent-BR30-Shatter-Resistant-1-ct/788148910
2. Computer fans work pretty well. They come in different sizes and are very quite but you have to hook them up yourself so I hope you're handy.
3. I bet you could buy a kit if you felt like doing the google thing. Probably cost an arm & a leg though.

LEDs would indeed be the way to go, and no, there shouldn't be any heat issues with them. You could try to find a unit like this which could lay across the top of the terr once you find the right size. Or you could go for a screw-in type like this. (Note GBT is not cheap ... you could likely find the item cheaper elsewhere. Twas simply the first photo I came across.) You'd likely need at least two.

PC fans are cheap and hooking them up is not rocket science. Use a cheap variable AC/DC adapter -- it'll give you some control over the fan speed.

LEDs would indeed be the way to go, and no, there shouldn't be any heat issues with them. You could try to find a unit like this which could lay across the top of the terr once you find the right size. Or you could go for a screw-in type like this. (Note GBT is not cheap ... you could likely find the item cheaper elsewhere. Twas simply the first photo I came across.) You'd likely need at least two.

PC fans are cheap and hooking them up is not rocket science. Use a cheap variable AC/DC adapter -- it'll give you some control over the fan speed.

Greatly appreciate it. I'll look into the flatter aquarium type light you linked, this is what I was imagining!

cubicle cube!

Are you planning on using drosera? Those would probably be the easiest. For LED lights, you can get away with a daylight white LED bulb in a standard lamp fixture or a pendant light. I use a 15w Daylight bulb from Home Depot with the plastic ball popped off the front. This is a bit of a shock hazard, but as long as you don't touch the chips while they are on you will be fine. I could add some pictures later if you're interested in my setup. Red/blue grow lights do work, but they might not be the best choice considering you are exposed to them for long periods. For an enclosure, it kind of depends on how much you are willing to spend. Fish bowls can look nice, but they are kind of impossible to clean. you would use a Plexiglas display case, since they have a large side opening for easy access. Or, you could build one out of Plexiglas/lexan and resin them pieces together after you get them cut to size. I have a few drosera tokaiensis if you're interested.

A ventrata has taken my entire grow shelf and part of my room captive. They grow too darn big!

Are you planning on using drosera? Those would probably be the easiest. For LED lights, you can get away with a daylight white LED bulb in a standard lamp fixture or a pendant light. I use a 15w Daylight bulb from Home Depot with the plastic ball popped off the front. This is a bit of a shock hazard, but as long as you don't touch the chips while they are on you will be fine. I could add some pictures later if you're interested in my setup. Red/blue grow lights do work, but they might not be the best choice considering you are exposed to them for long periods. For an enclosure, it kind of depends on how much you are willing to spend. Fish bowls can look nice, but they are kind of impossible to clean. you would use a Plexiglas display case, since they have a large side opening for easy access. Or, you could build one out of Plexiglas/lexan and resin them pieces together after you get them cut to size. I have a few drosera tokaiensis if you're interested.

A ventrata has taken my entire grow shelf and part of my room captive. They grow too darn big!

I plan on using a plexiglass display cube I have. I would definitely be interested in a photo of your setup!

And to answer your first question: I'll probably have a few drosera and a ping or 2!

This sounds very interesting, please keep us,updated on your progress as others might follow your lead and do one for themselves.
However, if I could offer my 2 cents. Check out your workspace before you set it up, as many office environments already have good airflow and ventilation, some more than others. You may have a spot in your area that already has sufficient airflow, and adding a fan may overdo it, possibly drying it out too much, too fast, especially over the weekend while you're not there to keep it hydrated.
Just my thoughts.
Chef

This sounds very interesting, please keep us,updated on your progress as others might follow your lead and do one for themselves.
However, if I could offer my 2 cents. Check out your workspace before you set it up, as many office environments already have good airflow and ventilation, some more than others. You may have a spot in your area that already has sufficient airflow, and adding a fan may overdo it, possibly drying it out too much, too fast, especially over the weekend while you're not there to keep it hydrated.
Just my thoughts.
Chef

I'll absolutely keep everyone updated!

And to answer your first question: I'll probably have a few drosera and a ping or 2!
For most pinguicula you wont need the extra headache that a terrarium/plexiglass cube would bring you. A lot of drosera don't need a cube either. You could make a pinguicula rock, and try to put a few drosera on it too... thinking about it, I'm going to see if I could get some Drosera burmannii to grow on my rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Pictures for my simple setup.

Here's what I used to germinate capensis seeds, and am currently growing young Drosera Tokiensis in.
jSvlgwy.jpg

UpZsr35.jpg

Look for these at Home Depot and pop the bulb off the end.
V5yoTPZ.jpg

7LKxYPY.jpg

And here are the rest of my plants (non temperate plants)
5DTjjrO.jpg

The container was more of a way to keep the plants humid, but since they have adjusted, I think I'll take them out and build something with foam to keep the light in. in the bottom under the grow light are some baby flytraps, adult Tokaiensis, and my new Pingicula. Glad to answer any questions!

You can do something simple like this: clean/not too many cords

38021943835_cd97e45574_c.jpg
27131963969_3a0878f3c2_c.jpg

25037162738_3f70b60561_c.jpg

You could also do a small pot of VFTs if that is what you like

2375972200_60952e2853_o.jpg

That looks beautiful! What light fixture is that?

That looks beautiful! What light fixture is that?

Its a custom fixture made using a moonlight LED kit from RapidLED. I got the heatsink off Ebay and made the stand using stuff from Home Depot.

Its a custom fixture made using a moonlight LED kit from RapidLED. I got the heatsink off Ebay and made the stand using stuff from Home Depot.

I think we’re gonna need a build thread for that light so we can copy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate your response. Looking at RapidLED, there are a variety of Moonlight LED kits. As someone with minimal experience, are they functionally different?

Consider the reptile tanks with front doors and screen tops.

My local shop offers custom glass aquariums with sliding doors and heavy gauge screen tops with a layer of fine screen to keep in fruit flies. Doors are propped open with chopsticks for the zen feel; enough to keep kitty out.

Also shop for a 4000K led quantum board to cover most of the top. I have a mix of aquarium led strips over mine, plus some South Sun, and will be customizing a quantum board.

The 453nm blue led mini strip evening light attracts mosquitoes, etc.

Consider a coffee press terrarium or glass vase.

What's that vandaceous orchid? I have one myself and lost the tag. Also... BEAUTIFUL setup!

Back