User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 19

Thread: Desktop Terrarium?

  1. #1
    Getting There...
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Desktop Terrarium?

    Hi all!

    So I have a desire to keep a few CPs on my desk at work. while I'm in cubicle land, I have a rather large work space and would like to build maybe a 1x1 or 1x2 ft terrarium for display on my desk. As it would be at work, I would need to it be presentable in the sense of minimal plugs/wire etc.
    I think I have 3 questions to start out.
    1) Lighting. I feel like LEDs are the way to go in that they are small, but I've only ever dealt with fluorescents! Is there an easy way for me to rig up a small cover with LEDs for a small terrarium? Is heat an issue?
    2) Air flow. Obviously, I'll need a fan, but I'd like to keep noise down. Is there an especially small fan that could meet my needs?
    3) Has anyone done this before? I'm sure it's not a new idea, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Kyle

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably grow a Nepenthes ventrata without the tank if you have the right temperatures. You'll just need supplemental lighting, and to water it every once in a while. The only down side is they get big, but you could keep trimming it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
    raistlarns growlist
    Wishlist/Wants: Drosera zonaria, Drosera peltata, Genlisea(any), Pinguicula cyclosecta, Pinguicula 'Florian'

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    288
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Maybe something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...1-ct/788148910
    2. Computer fans work pretty well. They come in different sizes and are very quite but you have to hook them up yourself so I hope you're handy.
    3. I bet you could buy a kit if you felt like doing the google thing. Probably cost an arm & a leg though.

  4. #4
    carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,496
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vbkid View Post
    1) Lighting. I feel like LEDs are the way to go in that they are small, but I've only ever dealt with fluorescents! Is there an easy way for me to rig up a small cover with LEDs for a small terrarium? Is heat an issue?
    2) Air flow. Obviously, I'll need a fan, but I'd like to keep noise down. Is there an especially small fan that could meet my needs?
    3) Has anyone done this before? I'm sure it's not a new idea, but any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsmanshorn View Post
    1. Maybe something like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...1-ct/788148910
    2. Computer fans work pretty well. They come in different sizes and are very quite but you have to hook them up yourself so I hope you're handy.
    3. I bet you could buy a kit if you felt like doing the google thing. Probably cost an arm & a leg though.
    LEDs would indeed be the way to go, and no, there shouldn't be any heat issues with them. You could try to find a unit like this which could lay across the top of the terr once you find the right size. Or you could go for a screw-in type like this. (Note GBT is not cheap ... you could likely find the item cheaper elsewhere. Twas simply the first photo I came across.) You'd likely need at least two.

    PC fans are cheap and hooking them up is not rocket science. Use a cheap variable AC/DC adapter -- it'll give you some control over the fan speed.

    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."



  5. #5
    Getting There...
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    LEDs would indeed be the way to go, and no, there shouldn't be any heat issues with them. You could try to find a unit like this which could lay across the top of the terr once you find the right size. Or you could go for a screw-in type like this. (Note GBT is not cheap ... you could likely find the item cheaper elsewhere. Twas simply the first photo I came across.) You'd likely need at least two.

    PC fans are cheap and hooking them up is not rocket science. Use a cheap variable AC/DC adapter -- it'll give you some control over the fan speed.


    Greatly appreciate it. I'll look into the flatter aquarium type light you linked, this is what I was imagining!

  6. #6
    MPX_78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Northeast IL, USA
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    cubicle cube!

    Are you planning on using drosera? Those would probably be the easiest. For LED lights, you can get away with a daylight white LED bulb in a standard lamp fixture or a pendant light. I use a 15w Daylight bulb from Home Depot with the plastic ball popped off the front. This is a bit of a shock hazard, but as long as you don't touch the chips while they are on you will be fine. I could add some pictures later if you're interested in my setup. Red/blue grow lights do work, but they might not be the best choice considering you are exposed to them for long periods. For an enclosure, it kind of depends on how much you are willing to spend. Fish bowls can look nice, but they are kind of impossible to clean. you would use a Plexiglas display case, since they have a large side opening for easy access. Or, you could build one out of Plexiglas/lexan and resin them pieces together after you get them cut to size. I have a few drosera tokaiensis if you're interested.

    A ventrata has taken my entire grow shelf and part of my room captive. They grow too darn big!

  7. #7
    Getting There...
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MPX_78 View Post
    Are you planning on using drosera? Those would probably be the easiest. For LED lights, you can get away with a daylight white LED bulb in a standard lamp fixture or a pendant light. I use a 15w Daylight bulb from Home Depot with the plastic ball popped off the front. This is a bit of a shock hazard, but as long as you don't touch the chips while they are on you will be fine. I could add some pictures later if you're interested in my setup. Red/blue grow lights do work, but they might not be the best choice considering you are exposed to them for long periods. For an enclosure, it kind of depends on how much you are willing to spend. Fish bowls can look nice, but they are kind of impossible to clean. you would use a Plexiglas display case, since they have a large side opening for easy access. Or, you could build one out of Plexiglas/lexan and resin them pieces together after you get them cut to size. I have a few drosera tokaiensis if you're interested.

    A ventrata has taken my entire grow shelf and part of my room captive. They grow too darn big!
    I plan on using a plexiglass display cube I have. I would definitely be interested in a photo of your setup!

  8. #8
    Getting There...
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to answer your first question: I'll probably have a few drosera and a ping or 2!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Good desktop CP?
    By EverDave in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
  2. Help me pick a new desktop computer
    By raccoon city in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 08:42 AM
  3. Post you desktop
    By Flip_Side_the_Pint in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 01:06 PM
  4. Venus flytrap desktop background
    By nrbelex in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:31 PM
  5. Patio and/or desktop bog
    By Linda in forum Utricularia, Aldrovanda, Genlisea
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2002, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •