What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Questions

• Thread starter Moody12690
  • Start date
Hello!

I’m new to this forum, but I figured I’d ask some questions right away. Someone is gifting me their old 75 gallon aquarium and I’m wanting something lower maintenance than fish, but still lovely to look at. I’m a plant person so I don’t mind the challenge of temperamental or weird plants.

I just have no idea what to do with it. Any and all suggestions welcome. I know it’s a big tank, but I’ve always wanted to try something this big.

Thanks!

I have an old 55 gallon aquarium that I have converted into a terrarium for some of my cp collection. "Less demanding" is a matter of opinion I would guess. A well-run terra can require quite a bit of time and effort, though I can now leave mine alone for a week at a time. But there are lights, watering regimes, pots and humidity to be considered and periodic maintenance as well as emergencies that can come up. If a plant decides it hates the soil it is potted in I might have to stop everything to jump in and save it, for instance.

I am certain that there are easier ways to run a large terra, as well as more intensive ways.

A terrarium isn't necessary for a lot of the plants that are commonly grown by beginners. You could, however, use it to set up a space for some plants with more specialized needs. With a heat source a terrarium would be a good place to grow petiolaris drosera and certain utricularia. With some cooling you could use it to grow heliamphora. Just in general any terrarium will need an artificial light source and some fans to circulate air within the tank.

You really need to sit back and consider just what you want in this terr. Are you thinking something very utilitarian -- bunch of potted plants sitting in there -- or something aesthetically pleasing ... ie a planted tank. After that, if going with the latter, determine if you want a water feature. Such things can be gorgeous but generally eat up a lot more space than you'd expect. Will this terr ONLY have cps or a mix of plants? How much maintenance is "too much"?

You really need to sit back and consider just what you want in this terr. Are you thinking something very utilitarian -- bunch of potted plants sitting in there -- or something aesthetically pleasing ... ie a planted tank. After that, if going with the latter, determine if you want a water feature. Such things can be gorgeous but generally eat up a lot more space than you'd expect. Will this terr ONLY have cps or a mix of plants? How much maintenance is "too much"?

I’m thinking an aesthetically pleasing tank. I haven’t decided if a water feature is what I want to start with. I’m an avid gardener and I’ve kept reptiles and fish in the past so I know I need lights, just not sure what I need for a tank this size.

I’ve done my research on how to set one up technically, but what do you guys do to make yours terrariums extra fun?

I wouldn’t mind some plants that are less common. I have a pitcher plant, but she’s just in a hanging basket by the window. She’s doing great! A bunch of new pitchers are on their way!

I just know 75 gallons is large and I don’t know how to begin to fill it. I also live in a place that’s very seasonal so I have time during the winter to devote to a project like this.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back