What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting for cephalotus

• Thread starter Gonzalez
  • Start date
I'm building a 10 gallon tank for some cephalotus plants and was wondering what type of lighting would be recommended? The plants will be 6-8 inches from the bulbs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'm building a 10 gallon tank for some cephalotus plants and was wondering what type of lighting would be recommended? The plants will be 6-8 inches from the bulbs

For my tank I use 48” 6500K LED conversions. I have 4 tubes overhead and as close as 4” above the plants.

For my tank I use 48” 6500K LED conversions. I have 4 tubes overhead and as close as 4” above the plants.
Can you link these so I can get an idea exactly what they are? I'm sorry for the unnecessary confusion I haven't used anything other than the beamswork lights for my terrariums so far.

I used something very similar, my model is no longer available.

Hyperikon T8 T10 T12 LED Light Tube 4FT, 18W (40W-50W Equiv.), Dual-End Powered, Ballast Bypass, F48T8 Fluorescent Replacement, 2360 Lumens, 6000K, Clear, Garage, Warehouse, Shop Light - 4 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C52MGKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Rk2aCbC4RXS3A

I bought six but only installed four since it never seemed like I needed the other two. I’ll most likely use the last two for breeding fish. Depending on the design you’ll need to remove the ballasts from your lights but these LEDs are very nice and powerful. No fancy spectrum stuff here, just bright lights. I even had the ceph flower from them.

Do they sell these in shorter versions? And if these are 2400 lumens then would a shorter 1100 lumen led fixture do the job or is that not how lumens work? The fixture i was thinking of was https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A9F85SO/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543726643&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=beamswork+led+18"&psc=1
Just because it was short enough to fit the tank.

Again sorry for the confusion.

Also, thanks for the fast replies, really helps me build up some confidence.

They might have shorter ones on amazon yes. But unless you have the existing fixtures already it’s really not worth the trouble and cost of gutting new fluorescent fixtures and installing LED conversions. For a single tank you’re on the right track of just ordering a prebuilt LED fixture within the correct spectrum, which most are of you’re looking at aquarium lights etc. I’ve never used rebuilt ones so my knowledge in that area is iffy.

Lumen is just light output, like how bright something is, so short lights can have crazy high lumen just like long lights can have low lumens.

Last edited:
He's right. It doesn't make much sense to use a floro fixture unless you already have some laying around. Take a look around online and you'll find plenty of prebuilt LED panels that are suitable for your needs.

Back