What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Indoor Highland Greenroom

since you bring it up, have you found any good ways to get VFTs through dormancy up here? I used to have a bog garden where they would survive outside with pine needles spread over top to shield from the cold but that was at my last residence. Currently I have mine in basement with just enough light to let them know day from night. seems a few have rotted out and I have tried so hard not to overwater :hopelessness:

I leave them in my garage by a window, they get watered once every two weeks or so and I fill the tray they are in with a half inch of water, let them soak it up for a few minutes then I remove them from the tray and empty the water then replace them in the tray. I do this slightly tedious process with each tray. Allows me to keep the soil by the growth point more dry vs. a top water. They go in the garage when it goes below freezing at night and they only go in the basement if it goes below 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside
A flytrap does not need a deep dormancy to live and thrive if it’s too cold where you are for that you can transfer them inside under lights during the middle of fall when it starts getting cold, mimic the short days with a timer and keep em as cool as ya can

While most of my flytraps are grown outdoors and go dormant, I have many large flytraps that haven’t been dormant for a few years for various reasons that are thriving

yeah maybe im overthinking it and should treat them to shorter days and not a deep dormancy. thanks for your input from personal experience!

Last edited:
Beautiful plants Myles. I have been thinking of snagging one of the N. ‘Briggsiana’
there have been quite a few available. I love that Inermis as well. I recently learned that it’s name means “unarmed” in Latin because it’s uppers completely lack peristomes but make up for it with their syrupy fluid!

They all look beautiful.

Last edited:
Thanks man, inermis is such an odd ball but i think between the pure green color and bizarre shape its a must have in a highland collection. Had to ask around to find one. The briggsiana is one of he best hybrids but since almost all come from cuttings they hit me hard in the pocket :p That peristome tho :0o::drool:

TRYING not to order any new plants :p need to upgrade my setup in a few months or im going to drown

A grow tent is a fabric exterior with six sides, which has a lightweight and supported by a rigid frame. It usually has the main entrance as well as different apertures that allow for various functions including ventilation and electrical access.

I am not sure what the point of your post is?

Last edited:
Well if anything that is quite the apt description.

my nepenthes seed i got online is germinating very well already. wont order again given the shady nature of it but these had already arrived so lets see if they are legit or not. this is my first time attempting nepenthes from seed

IMG_2111 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2112 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2113 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

and a couple new arrivals
IMG_2114 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2115 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

robc inflating next pitcher
IMG_2116 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

ventricosa x spectabilis looking beautiful
IMG_2117 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

ventricosa that got frost bit is progressing well with its basals. glad to see ti was not lost!
IMG_2118 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

I am heading out of country for a month. Will be back in early April hopefully with lots of updated photos of the plants! Don't want anyone to think I am disappearing :banana2:

just returned home from my trip, will post some photos of tent in coming days. plants all survived the babysitter but def struggld a bit because thy were watered less than ideal. have an absolute ton of new plants coming in coming months. spent about 1500 on EP plants, 2500 on wistuba import in may, and 800 on BE presales. planning to build new space that will be roughly 10 x 5 and have 900 watts of induction light. go big or go home!

Killer collection Myles! I just joined Flickr yesterday and started following you today. I too re-entered this addictive hobby last year but this time on a larger scale. Many years ago I purchased two VFTs from Savons on a whim. Not knowing much about them, they hung on longer than they had a right too. Last year, I happened across a pitiful VFT at our local supermarket but this time went online and researched care (thank you Peter D'amato). It's still alive on my patio but turned out to be a gateway drug to a CP addiction. Lol! Next I ran across a half dead "pitcher plant" at our local nursery (it was later determined to be a Scarlet Belle). I had to rescue it along with two VFTs I was sure were beyond hope. Talked the cashier into selling them at deep discount. Only one VFT succumbed. Others are thriving. Scarlet Belle is very happy. Next came Sarracenias and a few Droseras (amazing bug control). Then I discovered Nepenthes and you know the rest of the story....

Few questions:
A few of my Nepenthes are getting big. My N. Sanguinea, N. Ventricosa and N. Burkei will be repotted soon. My current situation is my kitchen counter with overhead T5 LED full spectrum lighting. Can't really hang anything from the ceiling as I rent. You seem pretty creative. Any out of the box suggestions?

Looking forward to more pics! I'll be adding pics to my new Flickr acct soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Killer collection Myles! I just joined Flickr yesterday and started following you today. I too re-entered this addictive hobby last year but this time on a larger scale. Many years ago I purchased two VFTs from Savons on a whim. Not knowing much about them, they hung on longer than they had a right too. Last year, I happened across a pitiful VFT at our local supermarket but this time went online and researched care (thank you Peter D'amato). It's still alive on my patio but turned out to be a gateway drug to a CP addiction. Lol! Next I ran across a half dead "pitcher plant" at our local nursery (it was later determined to be a Scarlet Belle). I had to rescue it along with two VFTs I was sure were beyond hope. Talked the cashier into selling them at deep discount. Only one VFT succumbed. Others are thriving. Scarlet Belle is very happy. Next came Sarracenias and a few Droseras (amazing bug control). Then I discovered Nepenthes and you know the rest of the story....

Few questions:
A few of my Nepenthes are getting big. My N. Sanguinea, N. Ventricosa and N. Burkei will be repotted soon. My current situation is my kitchen counter with overhead T5 LED full spectrum lighting. Can't really hang anything from the ceiling as I rent. You seem pretty creative. Any out of the box suggestions?

Looking forward to more pics! I'll be adding pics to my new Flickr acct soon.

i love hearing these stories! its like going into an animal shelter and you just want to take them all home and give them a second chance at happiness haha.

I started with VFTs at about 15 that my friend fed ground beef to (boy were we stupid hah) and in college had a whole setup under my bed with nepenthes and VFTs. Wish my yard was more sunny so i could grow sarrs but they just fail in dappled shade. its fullon nepenthes with a side of sundew and VFT for me

could you post a couple pics of the window setup from different angles so i can get idea of depth and how the upper section is? I am sure we can get creative. have you considered those adhesive strips that come with hooks maybe could hang and remove down the road.

i love hearing these stories! its like going into an animal shelter and you just want to take them all home and give them a second chance at happiness haha.

I started with VFTs at about 15 that my friend fed ground beef to (boy were we stupid hah) and in college had a whole setup under my bed with nepenthes and VFTs. Wish my yard was more sunny so i could grow sarrs but they just fail in dappled shade. its fullon nepenthes with a side of sundew and VFT for me

could you post a couple pics of the window setup from different angles so i can get idea of depth and how the upper section is? I am sure we can get creative. have you considered those adhesive strips that come with hooks maybe could hang and remove down the road.
Yes, will do so after work. Check back later today... thanks!

My son took some pics and sent them to me as it'll be dark by the time I get home. Here they are:

Taken looking head on.
89cd535e1b55447de542b8cdd018f624.jpg

They're in front of a large east facing window so they also get morning sun. Above are T5 LED full spectrum 2ft long lighting. In the terrarium are my only 3 Lowland Neps with supplemental lighting overhead. In front there are two Truncata x Talangensis plants and one Spathulata that weren't pitching. After researching it was determined that humidity needed to be increased. Simple solution is working. Hybrids have beginnings of pitchers and Spathulata even more so. All I did was cover them with elastic food covers with a few dime size holes cut and mist them few times daily and it worked!
0e77e4e7237d89620d3e8cac135375fd.jpg

Three of my Neps: Sanguinea, Ventricosa and Burkei will be repotted very soon as they're getting really big so I'm looking for solutions pretty quick for them.
83e5d4450e6ae453e7e7c415e1efe249.jpg

Thanks in advance for your time any suggestions you can provide.

so you want to keep the larger plants in the same section of your home right? just need to get them up higher without hanging? I would build a small platform to put the big boys on and allow the pitchers to hang down. If they start to vine maybe put a stake in the pot and attach stem to stake with some ties.

so you want to keep the larger plants in the same section of your home right? just need to get them up higher without hanging? I would build a small platform to put the big boys on and allow the pitchers to hang down. If they start to vine maybe put a stake in the pot and attach stem to stake with some ties.
Good idea. I already have a bunch of 1/2" PVC pipe and connectors. Just need a hand saw and I can make a platform of some kind.
Bought this cheap planter on Amazon. Not going to hang it but the rigid hangers are perfect for a growing vining Nepenthes ([emoji362]).
I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thanks!!

Back