What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Indoor Highland Greenroom

Good idea. I already have a bunch of 1/2" PVC pipe and connectors. Just need a hand saw and I can make a platform of some kind.
Bought this cheap planter on Amazon. Not going to hang it but the rigid hangers are perfect for a growing vining Nepenthes ([emoji362]).
I'll post pics when I'm done.

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Would help if I include the pic of the planter.
eb3dd42e4e0d7a460bc75710cf85a074.jpg

when you get the pipe cut please share pictures of the elevated plants! :)

so i have begun collecting supplies for my growspace upgrade. fully committed now! will be roughly 9 feet wide, 5 feet deep and 7 feet tall. will build two tables so plants arent so hard to work with and will also catch all runoff water so i can siphon it out efficiently. will run two 420 watt induction lamps attached as high as possible. will install a metal piping around the perimeter hanging from ceiling so i can easily attach hangers. still will use same humidifier and small fan for circulation. will use one wall of a growtent attached to plywood for the entry wall and use existing room walls as the other 3. might have to show photos for it to make sense hah. all interior walls will have white poly with heavy duty tarp on floor to keep all water contained. maybe will have two small fans built into plywood, one to blow in and one to blow out that would run 15 minutes once or twice a day just to keep CO2 levels high. should be a killer setup that will last a couple years ;) Then god only knows what ill do with the jungle

I'll post pics for sure. Hoping to stop at Home Depot this weekend

finally some photos. will label as many as i can, i know how annoying it can be when photos get dumped without names!

tal x robc
IMG_2563 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

spath x hamata
IMG_2562 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

vent x sib
IMG_2561 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

amp x hamata
IMG_2560 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

vent x hamata with veitchii x robc behind
IMG_2559 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

spectabilis x vent
IMG_2558 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

robc
IMG_2557 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

baby robv
IMG_2554 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

a ventricosa trying to grow from about 5 growthpoints at once lol
IMG_2553 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

mul x lowii with robv behind
IMG_2552 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

singalana x burkei
IMG_2550 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

izu
IMG_2549 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

briggsiana
IMG_2547 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

ventricosa
IMG_2546 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

singalana
IMG_2545 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2544 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

spath x lowii
IMG_2536 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

Last edited:
You have a lot of hybrids with Hamata. I bought my first Hamata hybrid (Sibuyanensis x Hamata). Have you noticed any specific requirements?
Your Nepenthes are beautiful and obviously thriving btw. You should change your title of this thread to "My amazing basement highland tent". Addicting little buggars, right? lol
Since your Neps are indoors too what's your feeding preferences and schedule? Love to compare notes as I'm always open to learning more about these beautiful plants. Right now I add an Osmocote pellet to new pitchers a la Peter D'amato, they help themselves to any hapless insects that dare to sneak in through cracks in my kitchen window (from the looks of my Drosera on my window sill right now it's carpet beetles [emoji849]). I occasionally supplement my Neps with: freeze dried blood worms, betta mini pellets and/or live pinhead crickets. I also lightly mist my pitchers with highly diluted Maxsea twice monthly during Spring through Autumn and monthly during the Winter months. How about you?

Last edited:
yes i am on a mission trying to get all the hamata hybrids available. even if they arent as good as their parent its so cool seeing the influence of each parent. hamata hybrids in my experience are nine times out of ten more forgiving versions of hamata. they are more vigorous and can deal with more intermediate conditions. i am curious to see how the lowlander crosses with hamata handle my highland conditions. like crossing two polar opposites

wasnt long ago that the tent had just a few little plants inside (seriously i have a problem) but thank you very much. i am halfway done with my new setup and will take me at least a year to fill that and need to find some other options.

typically my feeding is simple. i use freeze dried bloodworms and depending on pitcher size and plant age put one tiny worm or up to a pinch into new pitchers after they open. that way everyone is fed at all times. i have not used maxsea but since i have some insanely slow growing tiny suckers i just purchased some and will try for first time this week. god bless you for dealing with those pinhead crickets hahaha i would end up with escapees in my house for sure :p

yes i am on a mission trying to get all the hamata hybrids available. even if they arent as good as their parent its so cool seeing the influence of each parent. hamata hybrids in my experience are nine times out of ten more forgiving versions of hamata. they are more vigorous and can deal with more intermediate conditions. i am curious to see how the lowlander crosses with hamata handle my highland conditions. like crossing two polar opposites

wasnt long ago that the tent had just a few little plants inside (seriously i have a problem) but thank you very much. i am halfway done with my new setup and will take me at least a year to fill that and need to find some other options.

typically my feeding is simple. i use freeze dried bloodworms and depending on pitcher size and plant age put one tiny worm or up to a pinch into new pitchers after they open. that way everyone is fed at all times. i have not used maxsea but since i have some insanely slow growing tiny suckers i just purchased some and will try for first time this week. god bless you for dealing with those pinhead crickets hahaha i would end up with escapees in my house for sure :p
I like the hamata hybrids (of which I have but I so far) but also the Aristolochioides hybrids.

I only get a dozen or so of the pinheads at a time. If they escape my Nepenthes, they dont escape my cat Sam. He's a bit of a bug eater. Ewwww....

aristo hybrids remind me of hunchbacks [emoji38]
Speaking of which here's my newest little pitcher... Burbidgeae x Aristolochioides.
2b63c311f3482ab66f55ebaa9bb41314.jpg

Love the color. Doesn't have the hunchback like my (Densiflora x Spectabilis "Giant") x Aristolochioides) but I still love it.
14f66b03c8bb9fead45316c01e4839e3.jpg

wow seems only the peristome carried over! I actually like that more than most aristo hybrids. i have an aristo x hamata inflating its first pitcher since acquiring it a couple months ago. very curious what it will look like!

wow seems only the peristome carried over! I actually like that more than most aristo hybrids. i have an aristo x hamata inflating its first pitcher since acquiring it a couple months ago. very curious what it will look like!
I purchased my Burbidgeae x Aristolochioides hybrid from Bergen Water Gardens. I'll message you with their website if you'd like. Super fast delivery and healthy plants.

i order from them regularly, great place. i currently have about 50 plants on order between EP preorder, wistuba import and pearl river preorder. i will wait for them all to come and get situated before i even think about another addition.

Who's EP? Always looking for new places. I order from California Carnivores, Predatory Plants which are both excellent and West Coast as am I. Bergen Water Gardens excellent. Distance not a barrier at all.

exotica plants of australia. they are one of the main wholesale suppliers along with borneo exotics, christian klein, andreas wistuba and malesiana tropicals. exotica plants are a bit pricey but they are the premier hybridizer of nepenthes. here are the plants i am getting from them to give you an idea.

N. truncata (F)-alba
N. truncata x [ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa)]
N. truncata – squat x {(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x [ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa
N. truncata-giant x vogelii
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x veitchii
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x hamata
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x xtrusmadiensis (b)
N. (Rokko 'Exotica' x boschiana) x xTrusmadiensis
N. [(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x (ventricosa x xtrusmadiensis)] x {[(lowii x veitchii) x boschiana)] x (maxima x mira}
N. {(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x [(ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa)]} x [(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x hamata]
N. lowii x Sabre ‘Dark Cherry’
N. [(Rokko 'Exotica' x boschiana) veitchii] x {[(lowii x veitchii) x boschiana] x (maxima x mira)}
N. [(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x burkei] x jacquelineae
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x hamiguitanensis
N. [(Rokko 'Exotica' x boschiana) veitchii] x (spectabilis x veitchii)
N. [(lowii x veitchii) x Tiveyi] x (platychila x rajah)
N.[(lowii x veitchii) x Tiveyi] x platychila 'EP

check out pearl river exotics, they are one of the most reasonably priced nepenthes source in US. also Native exotics has great plants and both ship their plants very carefully.

That color on Robcantleyi is awesome! I will try to follow this thread more closely for updates!

exotica plants of australia. they are one of the main wholesale suppliers along with borneo exotics, christian klein, andreas wistuba and malesiana tropicals. exotica plants are a bit pricey but they are the premier hybridizer of nepenthes. here are the plants i am getting from them to give you an idea.

N. truncata (F)-alba
N. truncata x [ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa)]
N. truncata – squat x {(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x [ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa
N. truncata-giant x vogelii
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x veitchii
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x hamata
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x xtrusmadiensis (b)
N. (Rokko 'Exotica' x boschiana) x xTrusmadiensis
N. [(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x (ventricosa x xtrusmadiensis)] x {[(lowii x veitchii) x boschiana)] x (maxima x mira}
N. {(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x [(ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa)]} x [(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x hamata]
N. lowii x Sabre ‘Dark Cherry’
N. [(Rokko 'Exotica' x boschiana) veitchii] x {[(lowii x veitchii) x boschiana] x (maxima x mira)}
N. [(ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x burkei] x jacquelineae
N. (ventricosa x sibuyanensis) x hamiguitanensis
N. [(Rokko 'Exotica' x boschiana) veitchii] x (spectabilis x veitchii)
N. [(lowii x veitchii) x Tiveyi] x (platychila x rajah)
N.[(lowii x veitchii) x Tiveyi] x platychila 'EP
So how are the import taxes (are you in the states?). How about US import laws with live plants and shipping times? All those variables concern me.

There are a lot of places that already import EP's plants and sell them here. It's a lot easier method to acquire their plants than trying to make an order with them directly (and they do more wholesale to importers anyway).

Their fees are so high that it would be extremely impractical for an individual to place an order with them. As for distributors, Dominic Gravine recently became their exclusive distributor in the US. This means going forward, that the supply of EP plants from other nurseries will dry up and you will be forced to deal with Dom.

Back