What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Indoor Highland Greenroom

So how are the import taxes (are you in the states?). How about US import laws with live plants and shipping times? All those variables concern me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

as hcarlton said, easier to buy through US retailers. these are all coming via ******* exotics. he is importing a massive number of plants and did a presale. easy to overspend :-D

Yeah, saw that! I purchase/import settings for my jewelry designs from Europe and sell my completed jewelry throughout US and Canada, EU, GB, NZ, AU, SE Asia, Japan.

Rules definately not the same when it comes to live plants. I was thinking that would be the case.

new growroom is complete! plants were moved in this morning and all im waiting for is a second humidifier and another single tube t5 fixture. wish i had taken a couple photos before starting but it was just a carpeted basement with a drop ceiling and paneling on walls.

IMG_2573 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

circulation fans that run 15 minutes on 15 off and just one 15 minute cycle during the night
IMG_2577 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

UV resistant heavy duty tarp. big diaper to keep all water in haha
IMG_2580 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2581 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

poles to hang the vining larger plants. can hang plants in horseshoe all around perimeter. should give a magical affect once filled!
IMG_2585 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

these tables are made from the synthetic wood at home depot. expensive but never rots and holds water like a boat with some silicone in the seams.
IMG_2591 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2593 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

joined the tables and provided nice extra platform for more plants
IMG_2594 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

eggcrate to keep plants above the runoff water. tables are on subtle incline so water will drain to front and can be siphoned out easily.
IMG_2596 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2597 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

had old 4 x 8 growtent that wouldnt fit down here so i cut off the front and attached to plywood wall frame. sealed with gorilla tape and a ton of staples. should work very well and way better than my old "entrance"
IMG_2610 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2611 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2612 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

while transferring plants i came across this weirdo. seems to have split into growthpoints at the tip rather than basaling :p
IMG_2615 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

seedlings. think they need some food, can i maxsea them at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon?
IMG_2616 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2617 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

IMG_2618 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2621 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2622 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

lots of room for my huge preorders!
IMG_2619 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

That is some set up! Looking forward to pictures and witnessing your journey and their growth. I'm going to hit you up for advice when I set up my tiny greenhouse one day. Looks like you've put so much thought into your current indoor greenhouse. By the time I set up my outdoor greenhouse you'll be a pro! Lol.

Looks great! You have put in an impressive amount of work and I am now rethinking some of the decisions I made for my setup to help with any safety or potential water damage.

Do you have any humidistat/humidifier?
Also, how do you reach the plants in the back without having to move the others around first? :biggrin-new:

i find water always gets where you dont want it, the more layers of protection you can have the better. i am trying not to have water land on floor but if it does the tarp will be there.

if i reach out while bending forward i can reach them hah but not as easily as i would like. luckily im tall with long arms! its either hard to reach or make smaller and hold less plants. ill always choose the harder reach and more space XD

this setup came from many learning experiences and i had everything planned in my head before starting. if people can learn from my many builds then that is a gift in itself.

i do have a humidifier hooked up to humidistat and have a second humidifier on the way so I won't be filling it every couple days.

Oh nice! I have a 5-gallon tank for humidifier and I would say it needs to be refilled every 5 days or so. In reality I usually fill it up about 1/3 and then refill every 2 days.

Currently I am looking for a solution to cooling my nights enough. The averages are just above 65º at the moment.

when you have a minute, could you take some photos of your humidifier setup? sounds like a homemade rig or am i wrong? using a gallon per day is substantial! must be condensing on surfaces or escaping readily through the airflow huh

as for night humidity, i know temp drops cause the moisture to condense and form dew. i will make effort to check the reading 30, 60 and 90 minutes after lights out and see exactly how my levels fluctuate. always more to learn!

Platy puts a lot of itself into those complex hybrids.

definitely, looking forward to seeing this one develop uppers!

so you want to keep the larger plants in the same section of your home right? just need to get them up higher without hanging? I would build a small platform to put the big boys on and allow the pitchers to hang down. If they start to vine maybe put a stake in the pot and attach stem to stake with some ties.
Here's my solution on the cheap:
I took 8" round pots, flipped the lower one for height and zip tied them together (I McGyver'ed it). It makes the perfect home for my big N. Sanguinea
ce40108a61ca7a0ca3403318affa7c28.jpg

I did the same with 6" square pots for my Sanguinea Red x (Densiflora x Robcantleyi). Far right of pic.
49f978c399e4ee5d7d2bd7d745cb8642.jpg

Below is a pic of my upgraded Nepenthes plants..in progress of course. Always in progress.
1ed81ed3420aa1b37d8a85db4d813992.jpg

Here are some new pitchers:
5348d1086ad946454736da2519ee0b87.jpg

df9f621f3e14e3120296b389de5b3cda.jpg

5c06239f10a555f559eea2fd9836e569.jpg

:biggrin-new: turned out great! makes for a real nice display having tall ones in back

:biggrin-new: turned out great! makes for a real nice display having tall ones in back
Thanks! have a few pitchers about to pitch any day now and a few new arrivals these week so new pics coming.

How about you? Any new arrivals?

not yet, should have about 15 new BE plants coming monday or tuesday and the huge EP order coming in two weeks. The wistuba import still just waiting to get the shipping notice that they left germany. should only be a couple weeks once that happens :) blessing in disguise that they arent all coming same time cuz it will be a lottttt of potting XD

not yet, should have about 15 new BE plants coming monday or tuesday and the huge EP order coming in two weeks. The wistuba import still just waiting to get the shipping notice that they left germany. should only be a couple weeks once that happens :) blessing in disguise that they arent all coming same time cuz it will be a lottttt of potting XD
Sounds like you'll be busy....in best way possible [emoji16][emoji271]

when you have a minute, could you take some photos of your humidifier setup? sounds like a homemade rig or am i wrong? using a gallon per day is substantial! must be condensing on surfaces or escaping readily through the airflow huh

as for night humidity, i know temp drops cause the moisture to condense and form dew. i will make effort to check the reading 30, 60 and 90 minutes after lights out and see exactly how my levels fluctuate. always more to learn!

Hey,
Yeah it might be more like 2/3 of a gallon per day. I have a heater installed to raise my temps to 81-82 witch dries out the space and thus causes the humidifier to run a bit. Also I have a fan and two air ducts to the outside to allow for air flow 24/7.

Currently I am more concerned with the fact that I can't get the temps to drop enough at night. Any evaporative cooler would just be ineffective here.
Anything you might recommend?

in my previous setup years ago, i used a water chiller meant for aquariums. had a reservoir of water it chilled then ran that water through a radiator inside tent that had fan forcing air through it. worked well but can bring humidity down and takes up space outside tent. what is the current low most nights as it stands now?

main reason i chose my basement is to try and avoid having to cool it. between electricity cost and noise of AC or chiller, cooling is just a pain in the butt :hopelessness:

the BE babies have finally arrived! They all look a bit pissed off from their journey and gunna take a few weeks to do anything if I had to guess. Very happy with this order :) also got a glabrata x hamata freebie added in woohoo
IMG_2706 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2707 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2708 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

and this is list of what is there:
glabrata x hamata
Hamata x veitchii
Hamata
Vent x robc
Rajah x burb x eddie
Sib x2
Rajah
Platy x robc x2
Alisaputrana
Spath x jacq
Petiolata
Rajah x mira
Lowii
Burkei x2
Boschiana
Petiolata x veitchii
Robc x veitchii
Petiolata x talangensis
Burkei x veitchii
Burb x campy
Vogelii
Burkei x robc
Veitchii x lowii x spectabilis
Veitchii x lowii x fusca

as a sidenote my aristo x hamata finally pitchering. really happy with this one, pops yellow and now darkening rapidly. cant wait to see how dark the peristomes get.
IMG_2667 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2668 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2696 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2695 by myles geishecker, on Flickr
IMG_2763 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's a haul! I hope they do well in the space and recover quickly.

Also N. Hamata x Veitchii whaaaaat??!

Also N. Rajah x Burb x Eddy whaaaaaaaaaaaattttt??!?!?!

So stoked to see what comes of these. I may need to keep a closer eye on BE in the future...

As for your question, my night time lows are about 64-65º... I would feel a lot happier if they were less, but I am definitely out of room for a chiller :(

Last edited:
Back