What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. albomarginata green with little/no care

Similar to a wardian case, i have left my lowland nepenthes untended for over three years in a glass terrarium with a corner vent and a side heating pad, rather low light and zero watering. The aquarium has two inches of water, coming up to just under the base of the growing pots, and mostly pinguicula grew in this tank while i was away. But mysteriously (to me), my nepenthes albomarginata did better neglected than while i was tending to it. Every leaf pitchers, the plant has remained small enough to be in no risk of outgrowing the terrarium, and I'm seriously considering adding an n. ampullaria to the tank.

Hope these photos work...

The heat pad is on the same side as the nepenthes and the vent, but the thermomoter is on the opposite side.

If anyone has thoughts, especially on the likelyhood of encouraging basal growth on a nepenthes ampullaria, feel free to join the discussion.

If the photos dont work, heres a link to the gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to have you back, amigo! I'm not seeing your photos but I looked at the gallery link. I find neglect is often a powerful force for happy plants. ;)

Last edited:
It's always awesome to see how well plants handle stress/neglect!
I changed your photos to URL, I don't see a way to directly share photos from your google space.
Good to see you back!

Haha, I realised it was likely because the photos were too big and needed thumbnail/links, but I simultaneously saw it couldnt be done and that you had provided assistance.
Thanks and glad to be back! Still a big time carnivinerd.

Similar to a wardian case, i have left my lowland nepenthes untended for over three years in a glass terrarium with a corner vent and a side heating pad, rather low light and zero watering. The aquarium has two inches of water, coming up to just under the base of the growing pots, and mostly pinguicula grew in this tank while i was away. But mysteriously (to me), my nepenthes albomarginata did better neglected than while i was tending to it. Every leaf pitchers, the plant has remained small enough to be in no risk of outgrowing the terrarium, and I'm seriously considering adding an n. ampullaria to the tank.

Hope these photos work...

The heat pad is on the same side as the nepenthes and the vent, but the thermomoter is on the opposite side.

If anyone has thoughts, especially on the likelyhood of encouraging basal growth on a nepenthes ampullaria, feel free to join the discussion.

If the photos dont work, heres a link to the gallery.
What did you do when you were "tending to" the plants (vs. neglecting them)? -pt

Back