Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bog land

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bog land

Hi!

I wanted to inquire on everyoneís open here. I have this idea to create a botanical gardens in a place like: South Carolina, Missouri, Arkansas, Georgia or similar place. I want there to be a large artificial bog that spans several acres in size. It will be planted with every sarracenia species and multiple variations of those species, but theyíre will only be a few hybrids that I think meet the mark, such as: Danaís delight, Saurus, and hot lips. Iím not a big fan of other hybrids. Theyíre will also be other carnivorous plants such as VTF, regular and B52 strain, red dragon, and a few other large varieties, various Drosera species, bladderworts, and bog orchids. Iím saying artificial because I donít think natural bog will be easy to find. What I would build will be a shallow several acre pond lined with concrete and a proper plumbing system will be put in. Than peat, sand, and live moss would be put in and the plants planted. Any thoughts on this and where it should be?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like an amazing project. I would suggest that you would want it away from native populations of carnivorous plants to avoid the spread of pollen not native to the area. You might even be able to find suitable land far away from any other cps. I used to live in W. Tennessee and there are no Sarracenia there but it seems to me that the climate is suitable for them, though it can get cold in winter. 'Just a thought. I really like the thought of a cp botanical garden grown out of doors.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thats a very large project will you fill such a massive area with peat moss? cant even imagine such a thing haha
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Tennessee might be a good idea. I donít think the bog could be filled with anything else than peat/ sand or perlite

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just curious what do you expect to spend between the land, the cement liner and the peat sand filler?
    lover of toothy species and hybrids

Growlist

highland tent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New plans for the bog- I figured out how to make it bigger and have trees. Anyone want to guess how? Itíll also use less peat!

The original plan would have been EXPENSIVE! This new way I think will be much less expensive but canít put an exact figure

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are thinking about purchasing land that is already suitable I would think that is possible. In fact, land of the swampy, boggy type might well be cheaper to buy. But you would have to be careful to determine that the needed water levels exist year round.
    - Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minibogs- lots of mini bogs to make a natural patchy look

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast