Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: So overwhelmed by lighting options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So overwhelmed by lighting options

I haven't grown CPs for 6+ years and I would like to get back into the hobby. I used to have a rack of 4' T8 shop lights that I used for intermediate neps and cephalotus and that worked really well. I've been trying to figure out what lighting setup to go with and I am completely overwhelmed.

What I do know that I really would like to avoid the blue/red LEDs that seem to be so popular. I just really hate the look and couldn't stand that being the only lighting - I guess I could put some white lights for when I am looking at the plants but that seems really redundant. I'm not afraid to spend a little money but would like to keep this initial purchase small (less than $100 unless there's a really good reason to get something more expensive) so I can ease back into it. However, I don't really want to buy something that won't be useful in the future.

I'm going to start with Cephalotus and maybe a few easier neps (I do love glabrata) so I'm looking for something that can cover a 2x2' area. Eventually I would LOVE to get into highland neps (aristolochioides is my absolute favorite) but I know that I'm not ready for the setup required to give those temps.

I would appreciate any recommendations I can get, especially specific light fixtures and/or bulbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about HLG 65? Should have plenty of light to cover a 2x2' area and right about $100. It shouldn't emit much heat and would be great for highlanders.
    Last edited by Jasonh; 04-02-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LED panel boards are really the future in terms of just how much light they put out. I also hate the red/blue color most of them have so I looked around and have found some that use only white LEDs. So far I'm very satisfied with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the particular one that I'm using

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonh View Post
    How about HLG 65? Should have plenty of light to cover a 2x2' area and right about $100. It shouldn't emit much heat and would be great for highlanders.
    Thanks for the suggestion, this looks perfect for what I'm trying to do.