Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive LED grow light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inexpensive LED grow light.

Hello, does anyone have any experience using the castnoo LED 1000w fixture?

From the information I have found is good for covering a 2ftx2ft area. Max 4ftx4ft area if less lightning is needed. Plan on using this for Nepenthes.

My prior experience with lighting was using T8 and T12 lighting with full spectrum bulbs. Did most of my indoor growing of drosera under 3 4ft T12 twin bulb shop lights.

Have some 2ft twin bulb T5HO from my aquariums in use now over the Nepenthes I just acquired.

Looking at LED as they should be must less expensive to run. Plus the price had fallen on LED from 2004 itís amazing at the low cost.

Old photo from 2002-2003.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NickHubbell; 05-28-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use that exact panel but mine is similar. They are very powerful and run cooler than a bank of T5's would. They're powerful enough to produce some leaf burn and should be used at a minimum of 2 feet away. Overall, they are a great investment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In years past, the problem with the cheaper (almost always Chinese made) LED lights is that they are made of poor components and simply do not last. Components like the heat sink/cooling fans would fail, and the LEDs burn out, etc. It was common to get no more than 6-12 months out of a cheap grow LED. I don't know if the current generation of LEDs have the same issues. For a light as cheap as this ($100-$130) I wouldn't trust it to last for long. Personally, I am not a fan of "subscription model appliances" (Buy a cheap appliance over and over again, as each unit fails)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I purchased the more expensive light that I use. It's been running for 3 years straight without a single LED burning out or any problems at all. The casing is aluminum, which helps to pull any heat away quickly and efficiently. I've posted the model to others, but the cost is more up-front than those cheaper units. If you have the money though, it pays for itself in the long run

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuru View Post
    This is why I purchased the more expensive light that I use. It's been running for 3 years straight without a single LED burning out or any problems at all. The casing is aluminum, which helps to pull any heat away quickly and efficiently. I've posted the model to others, but the cost is more up-front than those cheaper units. If you have the money though, it pays for itself in the long run
    Which grow light? I've been hesitant to buy anything LED because I haven't seen specific brands/products talked about in the CP community.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Which grow light? I've been hesitant to buy anything LED because I haven't seen specific brands/products talked about in the CP community.
    I purchased the Finnex 247 Planted+ SE because it has both of the wavelengths of light that plants need for both leafing and flowering. There is a newer version of that now since mine is over 3 years old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inexpensive LED grow light.

Led lights should work just fine. Just need to get one with the proper wavelengths for plants.

Iíve seen a few posts online about just using led shop lights. Iím not sure about those. I have one over my reloading area and it gives off a nice bright white light. Iím guessing that the white LED shop lights will not work for plants as they do not have the correct wavelengths for growth.

Seems there are a few different versions of the led light I posted. The bigger units appear to actually be closer to the 1000w as they have cooling fans. The one I pictured had no fan and runs at 45 watts. Going to venture and say itís not a 1000w LED light assembly.

Last edited by NickHubbell; 05-30-2019 at 12:53 PM.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast