What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water level in mini bog?

• Thread starter twigs
  • Start date
We've been getting a ton of rain which has saturated my mini bog. It's 7" deep with lava rock in the bottom so the soil later is probably about 5". How far down should I still drainage holes?

This is for Venus flytraps.

In my mini bogs I drill three hoes, at low, medium and high (say 2” from the top) levels about 3 mm or so and plugged with pieces of wooden skewers, so you can adjust your water levels to suit the weather you are expecting. The low level hole only ever gets openend for winter storage.
Occasional innundations do no har m so long as the water doesn’t remain for say a week or more as the water level prohibits the oxygen from getting into the soil, roots need oxygen and draining also prevents anaerobic conditions.
Cheers
Steve

In my mini bogs I drill three hoes, at low, medium and high (say 2” from the top) levels about 3 mm or so and plugged with pieces of wooden skewers, so you can adjust your water levels to suit the weather you are expecting. The low level hole only ever gets openend for winter storage.
Occasional innundations do no har m so long as the water doesn’t remain for say a week or more as the water level prohibits the oxygen from getting into the soil, roots need oxygen and draining also prevents anaerobic conditions.
Cheers
Steve

That's a great idea! I would love to be able to control the water level like that!

Back