Likes Likes:  7
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carnivores in the Concrete Jungle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, yes, this is fantastic.

I'm in NYC and used to have a pretty major setup ... I just loved the challenge of finding solutions to growing problems in the cramped spaces of a NYC apartment.

How are those Sarracenia doing for you? I had a few but they always outgrew my grow rack, and I struggled to provide proper conditions for dormancy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    Dude, yes, this is fantastic.

I'm in NYC and used to have a pretty major setup ... I just loved the challenge of finding solutions to growing problems in the cramped spaces of a NYC apartment.

How are those Sarracenia doing for you? I had a few but they always outgrew my grow rack, and I struggled to provide proper conditions for dormancy.
    Thank for for stopping by to check out the thread. This is my first go with Sarracenia so I’m excited for the journey. They have enough head room to get as tall as they need to (to a extent). The dormancy is going to be a tricky one but I’m sure I’ll be able to figure it out. If need be I will place them on the roof in a few Rubbermaid containers but haven’t got a game plan set in stone for dormancy. Growing indoors has never been a real problem for me but since I’ve relocated to nyc with the apartment sizes and layouts are the tricky part. Moving from a house from the north shore area of mass to a apartment was a hell of a change. The wife and I are looking at property 30 min north outside the boros (I’m in queens near the 7) so I’m planing for the future and getting these big enough so when we close on a house I’ll be able to build a green house and really rock out a nice cp count and have a nice installment of decent sized cps.

-JKS-
    “Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independent, the most virtuous and they are tied to their country and wedded to its liberty and interests by the most lasting bands.”

-Thomas Jefferson-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These arrived today

I’ll take a few more pictures in the morning just got done transplanting and situated the area.

-JKS-
    “Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independent, the most virtuous and they are tied to their country and wedded to its liberty and interests by the most lasting bands.”

-Thomas Jefferson-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transplanted all 3 into bigger pots compared to the 3” square pots that were provided. The Nepenthes got a mix of 75% sphagnum moss, 25% perlite, and 25% orchid bark and the rest of the nepenthes are in the same mix. The B-52 vft got a layer of sphagnum moss on the bottom of the pot, top dressing of sphagnum, and mixed in a peat/perlite mix.

Dionaea “B-52”

N. Jolly Victory
    (N. “Jungle Bells” x ventricosa)

N. Fancy Tapestry
    (N. Zakriana x Tiveyi)

-JKS-

-Thomas Jefferson-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a few more days on vacation in New Hampshire. Brought along all my nepenthes, cephalotus, and left the drosera, Sarracenia, and vft under my mother-in-laws care with video instructional on filling the trays with proper water levels. Had some awesome experiences up here and spent some well needed time with my brother and his family. Got to educate my nephew and niece on cps and how they work. My nephews eye lit up and said “Bug eatting plants! Uncle you are the coolest! Can you get me one?” So needless to say I will be taking some basil cuttings from the N. Ventrata and getting them to root. Once rooted I’ll be making another trip up here to set up a little coffee garden for him. I’m gonna try to take my hand on rooting a leaf cutting off of a drosera. We watched nepenthes expeditions on YouTube so he could understand there geographical locations and what botanist do to discover new species. Fed a snapper turtle I’m gonna guesstimate is around 50+ years old and captured video as well but go to edit it.

Here’s a few shots

-Thomas Jefferson-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123