What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivores in the Concrete Jungle

• Thread starter JKS_NYC
  • Start date
I am starting a thread to post all my garden pictures, ideas, build outs, macro photos, and everything in-between relating to my garden and world of cps. I joined terraforums and couldn’t be happier because there are many like minded individuals that share the same love for cps. My garden is small compared to most on the forum but it has been expanding slowly (we had to start from somewhere). I’m in the works of building a fogger for the area that I will most likely post here once I gather all the materials from the list.

Growlist

N. Fancy Tapestry: Nepenthes zakriana × (maxima × veitchii) "big yellow"
N. Jolly Victory: Nepenthes (ventricosa × sibuyanensis) × ventricosa "red"
Nepenthes Singalana x Ventricosa
Nepenthes Ventrata
Nepenthes Ventricosa
Drosera Allciae
Drosera Capensis 'alba narrow leaf'
Drosera Spatulata x Capensis
Drosera Dichotoma 'Giant'
Drosera Omissa x pulchella "light pink with red center"
Sarracenia x 'Abandoned Hope'
Sarracenia x 'Dana’s' Delight
Sarracenia Alata "Harrison CO, MS"
Terrestrial Bladderwort
Pinguicula Gigantea x Ehlersiae
Cephalotus Follicularis 'ABG clone'
B-52 Venus Flytrap

-JKS-

Last edited:
N. Singalana x Ventricosa
Qwda01D.jpg

1pAEtfj.jpg

CBCUQPN.jpg

Last edited:
Nepenthes Ventricosa
u4uuSR1.jpg

wT8eryQ.jpg

Smaller pitcher
NzHeci2.jpg

Nepenthes ventrata
hOXhvOx.jpg

vuRnoib.jpg

NMvEyYZ.jpg

9JTIIoM.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you started up a thread! singalana x ventricosa is such a wonderful cross :) yours looks to be very happy and already showing its great color and peristome :love: this is what mine looks like after it has darkened with age.

BE3820A3-7D34-4B8B-8AF4-D55A6CF24725 by myles geishecker, on Flickr

im mostly a nep guy but if you have any questions feel free to bounce them off me anytime.

Your "alata" is ventrata, but that's practically an expected mislabeling now. The singalana x ventricosa is beautiful.

Nice nepenthes you've got. If you didn't already know, there is a nyc carnivorous plant society. They hold meetings every few months.

Glad you started up a thread! singalana x ventricosa is such a wonderful cross :) yours looks to be very happy and already showing its great color and peristome :love: this is what mine looks like after it has darkened with age.

im mostly a nep guy but if you have any questions feel free to bounce them off me anytime.

Thank you man I’m sure I will take you up on the nep questions when they arise. Beautiful singalana x ventricosa the black color really pops with age. Stunning.

-JKS-

Last edited:
Your "alata" is ventrata, but that's practically an expected mislabeling now. The singalana x ventricosa is beautiful.

Thank you for the correction. The guy I bought this from said he order it from logees and it was labeled nepenthes Alata so I went with it. I’m glad you stopped by and again thank you for the name correction.

Last edited:
Nice nepenthes you've got. If you didn't already know, there is a nyc carnivorous plant society. They hold meetings every few months.

I was checking out the “Groups” section of the forum and saw the last post was in 2017 so I wasn’t sure if those meetings got fazed out over time. If they are still going on I’d love to link, learn, and discuss nepenthes. Thank you for stopping by Grey Moss

Last edited:
Sarracenia x Dana’s Delight
ZzEh5R8.jpg

KiWF6rD.jpg

abUgxHM.jpg

Sarracenia x Abandoned Hope
LctEF8e.jpg

5rFrADe.jpg

Last edited:
Drosera Spatulata x Capensis
Feeding on fungus gnats
92qrjhQ.jpg

In bloom
BANGJKW.jpg

Last edited:
Cephalotus Follicularis 'ABG clone'
Yk9coYa.jpg

Sarracenia x Daina’s Delight
This was labeled Sarracenia x Dana’s Delight but doesn’t look like the other Sarracenia x Dana’s Delight I have. Any Sarracenia experts know the proper name for this. Thank you
hn3fQnp.jpg

Drosera Dichotoma 'Giant'
c6RwVHl.jpg

Last edited:
The NYC group is fairly active on FB, if you have an account you can probably find them there.
And the second plant looks like "Daina's Delight," just one that didn't receive as strong a lighting as the other (you'll want to get them all into full sun or the equivalent for them to do truly well, unless the LED's are very tall and very powerful).

@ hcarlton: I have 2 1ft x 1ft 125w LED panels and need to set up my 2 ft 4 bulb T5 HO in between the led panels. One of the LED panels also has IR and UV diode’s which I know UV helps with nectar production in other plants so I’m hoping that will carry over to the cps. They get 3 hours of direct sunlight (sun comes in my east facing window). Thank you for letting me know it’s Sarracenia x Daians Delight greatly appreciate it. I’ll check out there FB page and again thank you!

I8mihSP.jpg

-JKS-

Last edited:
These 2 never stop battling it out even during my morning garden work

Venom vs Carnage in the rain (N. Ventrata)
HSkE2R2.jpg

-JKS-

Last edited:
Dude, yes, this is fantastic.

I'm in NYC and used to have a pretty major setup ... I just loved the challenge of finding solutions to growing problems in the cramped spaces of a NYC apartment.

How are those Sarracenia doing for you? I had a few but they always outgrew my grow rack, and I struggled to provide proper conditions for dormancy.

Dude, yes, this is fantastic.

I'm in NYC and used to have a pretty major setup ... I just loved the challenge of finding solutions to growing problems in the cramped spaces of a NYC apartment.

How are those Sarracenia doing for you? I had a few but they always outgrew my grow rack, and I struggled to provide proper conditions for dormancy.

Thank for for stopping by to check out the thread. This is my first go with Sarracenia so I’m excited for the journey. They have enough head room to get as tall as they need to (to a extent). The dormancy is going to be a tricky one but I’m sure I’ll be able to figure it out. If need be I will place them on the roof in a few Rubbermaid containers but haven’t got a game plan set in stone for dormancy. Growing indoors has never been a real problem for me but since I’ve relocated to nyc with the apartment sizes and layouts are the tricky part. Moving from a house from the north shore area of mass to a apartment was a hell of a change. The wife and I are looking at property 30 min north outside the boros (I’m in queens near the 7) so I’m planing for the future and getting these big enough so when we close on a house I’ll be able to build a green house and really rock out a nice cp count and have a nice installment of decent sized cps.

-JKS-

These arrived today

ViO9kit.jpg

I’ll take a few more pictures in the morning just got done transplanting and situated the area.

-JKS-

Transplanted all 3 into bigger pots compared to the 3” square pots that were provided. The Nepenthes got a mix of 75% sphagnum moss, 25% perlite, and 25% orchid bark and the rest of the nepenthes are in the same mix. The B-52 vft got a layer of sphagnum moss on the bottom of the pot, top dressing of sphagnum, and mixed in a peat/perlite mix.

Dionaea “B-52”
uEQDgQn.jpg

N. Jolly Victory
(N. “Jungle Bells” x ventricosa)
jNCL3KH.jpg

EDqujB8.jpg

N. Fancy Tapestry
(N. Zakriana x Tiveyi)
tqjPsxl.jpg

rwA09Ns.jpg

-JKS-

Back