What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini bog build

• Thread starter TheFury
  • Start date

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Found a planter in the back yard of the place I recently moved to, and decided to re-enter my long lost hobby of CP horticulture! Here are a few shots of the brief process of setting this thing up:

The planter:
5baf4e22c64227af59cbde822f06c11f.jpg

Had to deal with the drainage holes:
f82ab29442699b649639b50a18c1e13d.jpg

Plugged with silicon sealant:
2001a0b2fd5b1b9aef291354d01b45e8.jpg

Waterproof test:
6615a83fc14d39c9103510b3eed875da.jpg

Got everything planted in peat/sand with a thick top dressing of live sphagnum:
d9b3948478422c276a1569d79ad5c250.jpg

One month later, things are settling in nicely, though some of the sphagnum got burned in the sun:
357e20a6cd42404bca3f20532c33d700.jpg

The plants in here are:
S. "Mardi Gras"
S. flava ornata
S. leucophylla
S. purpurea
D. filiformis x2
D. intermedia
VFT typical
VFT "B52" x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

love this display, its beautiful! Just how deep is it inside bowl from bottom to top of your moss?

love this display, its beautiful! Just how deep is it inside bowl from bottom to top of your moss?

Thanks! It's about 4 inches deep at the outside and 6 inches in the center. I know deeper would be better here but I'm hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, you knew where i was going with that lol. it may be tough to adjust now but if you can id raise the moss level flush with the lip to give them the max amount of space :) could wait until dormancy starts for that since they are such young plants.

You know, I thought about that and decided to plant them anyway. I had plenty of CPs growing in 4-5" deep nursery pots back in the day and everything was hunky dory, so I figured I could get away with this. Maybe I will uproot them this winter time then. What do you think will happen if I decide to leave them as is?

Last edited:
the roots will find the bottom but since they are not large mature plants I really dont think you will see any negatives

Quick update here. So far kinda decent though I'm worried that the Sarrs are not putting out as many mature pitchers as I'd like. I'd prefer they be more established before winter arrives. Fingers crossed they'll make it!

c1b6817e4309e359c7203c8c3d14dc88.jpg

Things are filling in nicely

b4c7142a7f01c948053a29f2206e448e.jpg

VFT "B52s" getting some ok-looking color on the traps

fa8d5590a62ed50ee15e763504f988df.jpg

D. intermedia looking surprisingly happy considering this is my first time growing it

7498b95d7c9b1c22a9becf51c634127f.jpg

Always did love the pitchers on the S. "Mardi Gras"

e83808714a24a72a3d84ec1fe6dbf605.jpg

A cute mature pitcher on this S. leucophylla

c60dadb78c79056fa7aa0a23a5cce8b4.jpg

Fly getting rekt by my clump of D. filiformis

b79148878d6147730e78a716e68dd1af.jpg

S. purpurea looking a little pissed off (see that gimpy looking new pitcher coming in?). These guys are pretty bulletproof in my experience so I have faith that this one will get over whatever it is that has him all hot and bothered

Lookin good! I would have filled it all the way up for a couple reasons... So I could add more plants would be the main one. So it could go longer without watering (important here with the heat), and so when it rained it didn't flood the plants. Not that I'd expect it to hurt them though. (oh, and more cold protection now that I see you're in NY)
I bet before next spring if you let it dry out a bit, you could pick up all that media/plants. Set it aside and fill it in on the bottom, set that back in and fill in the sides. If you decide you want to.

Thanks! I really should have just held my horses and bought more media, but alas. I'm pretty afraid to upset this thing now but if I see an opportunity in the spring as you mentioned I'll probably go for it.

Water hasn't really been a problem. I've got some drainage holes drilled about 2/3 of the way up the side of this thing which prevents flooding. It's been a brutal summer here at times, and even so I've only had to add water twice (I just stick a finger into the moss top dressing to check it once or twice a week; it's usually quite damp).

As for warmth, there's a boiler room in my basement which vents to the outside along the wall of my apartment. I'm hoping that that will create a warm enough spot to put this planter that I won't have to worry about extended deep freezes. Maybe that and a frost blanket or just a pile of leaves on top of this thing will keep the plants happy until next season, when the depth of this planter may or may not become a problem for the plants as they send their roots deeper....

This may well be a cycle of problems I've just created for myself, but we'll see!!

Back