Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 10 gallon terrarium build help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 gallon terrarium build help

ive kept venus fly traps in the past but they always died after a couple months due to mold. I have a 10 gallon tank setup as sort of a swamp/bog type thing but i want to tear it down and turn it into a carnivore tank.
    i have a Finnex Stingray LED light on it right now which i think should be enough for the plants. i also have a normal glass aquarium top with a hing about 1/3 of the way from the front which should keep humidity in pretty well, and i live in North Carolina so temperature isnt too big of an issue, my house usually keeps at 76-78F, but my room stay a little warmer because i have my computer pouring heat into it all day. I know those will effect what plants will thrive in the terrarium so ill let those with more experience help me with the selection but i defintely want a fly trap and sundew or two.

But i could use alot of help on the substrate although i was thinking about following something like what is shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgmYa-SJ3IA
    i also wanna know if theres any antimold things i can mix in with the substrate or anything to help prevent it, algae i know to spot treat with peroxiode.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any reason you don't want to grow them outside? Your climate should be fine for many CPs since some are from there.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i already have the tank and everything in my room and id like to be able to see the plants inside

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flytraps generally do not make good terrarium plants. Sundews should be doable as well as some pings. You really don't needs a closed top for many dews or pings. I have both on a light stand in my apt and over the winter my humidity is typically a "whopping" 15%. Most handle just fine as long as they are not allowed to dry out.

If you do do a closed top, you may want to consider adding a fan in the terr for air circulation. PC fans work well.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to setup the tank with some sort of a rock backdrop, with different areas to grow plants at different light levels in the tank.
    i also would like to put in a waterfall just to help keep the water from becoming stagnant in the reservoir.

something like this but with carnivorous plants https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoXVNONV4tQ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post

Flytraps generally do not make good terrarium plants. Sundews should be doable as well as some pings. You really don't needs a closed top for many dews or pings. I have both on a light stand in my apt and over the winter my humidity is typically a "whopping" 15%. Most handle just fine as long as they are not allowed to dry out.

If you do do a closed top, you may want to consider adding a fan in the terr for air circulation. PC fans work well.
    ill probably just leave the top off, but i might put a small fan in there at some point

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be forewarned, a water feature like a waterfall will consume a huge amount of "real estate" in a tank that small.... for that matter, so will a "rock" wall backdrop. A tank that size may look spacious when empty, but by the time you put media and other items in you will find yourself with surprisingly little room for plants.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Be forewarned, a water feature like a waterfall will consume a huge amount of "real estate" in a tank that small.... for that matter, so will a "rock" wall backdrop. A tank that size may look spacious when empty, but by the time you put media and other items in you will find yourself with surprisingly little room for plants.

my other idea was more of something with each back corner built up higher to make different light levels