What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rolling Raised Bed

• Thread starter Est
  • Start date

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Hi all,

Pandemic-inspired boredom and desire to grow more plants came together into the idea to make a raised bed. I rent an apartment, so I knew would need to do a raised bed on concrete. But why limit myself to a traditional raised bed? Kneeling down to work in the the driveway where the bed would live? No thanks. I'm over 6', I spend too much of my time hunched over work surfaces as it is!

Take a look at what I came up with! It currently has a couple basil stragglers, but native seeds are starting indoors and will be transplanted outside as they become available. As an afterthought, I added a little native bee box. I could have saved myself some time and effort had I thought of it before making cuts, but here we are. With the massive amount of land that has burned here recently, I figure all the critters will appreciate all the extra shelter and food they can get!

It's just over 4' tall, ~9cu ft of grow space. The wheels make it easy enough to roll one handed, even full of soil. The inside is plastic-lined to help preserve the wood. The liner is secured so the lowest point is at four drain holes.

I've very tempted to make one for CPs next year...

And yes, with the bee box, it does look reminiscent of Nessie. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20201003_121124__01.jpg
    IMG_20201003_121124__01.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
And yes, with the bee box, it does look reminiscent of Nessie. ;)

Please paint it with some eyes! It might help scare off the birds too from eating your garden.

NICE! the wheels makes it portable i like it !

Definitely need one for CPs. Tempted... PFSH! Just say you're going to and be done with it. ;)
Looks good man!

Wow, that is a really nice idea. I could do a lot with something like that, it would really help to be able to move some of my plants around so easily.

Thanks all.

Andrew, it was only a couple of days between thinking "hey, something like this could be fun" and completing it. haha If this one holds up well for a season or so, I'll definitely consider it!

Back