What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Pics

Hi All,

I just read through the entire thread, quite a lot of interesting setups!! I only have one terrarium running at this point, all my other humidity craving plants are in plastic take-out containters and other clear plastic containers. I find this way I can get the plants closer to the lights and achieve better coloration. (I do have one other cut-off terrarium outside but it leaks). Anyway, here is a slightly outdated picture of my terrarium:

terrarium.noah.JPG

-noah

i've noticed some of you keep plants other than cp's in your terrariums. like the pic above this with violets and an orchid. how do you do this? do you just not fertilize the non cp plants at all?

i ask this because i want to grow orchids, broms, and tillandsia in mine.

My new greenhouse in progress, here are some pics a few weeks old:

Greenhouse Pics

Below: Looking East through greenhouse frame.

Img_0288.jpg

Heres an updated pic taken this morning (4/13/03) I will take another pic soon, btw, it wont let me edit my former post
confused.gif
000_0222.jpg

Here's my terrarium. It's early in it's existence still:

terrarium%203.JPG

The nep on the left is N. albomaringata, and there's an N. truncata on the far right. There's a N. home depot in the middle, with D. adelae and D. venustra in back. The ping in front is P. moranensis. It is lit with four 24 inch flourescents, and there's a computer fan in the middle for air flow. Otherwise, it's unheated and un-humidified. It stays around 65-80 degrees and over 60-85% humidity by itself. Everything seems to grow well in it.

Capslock

what size tank is that Capslock?

Joe,

It's either a forty or fifty gallong tank. I bought it from a guy at work whose snake died, so I don't know for sure what the capacity is. It's about 36 inches long and 17 inches high/wide.

Capslock

Here is my highland nepenthes tank I just finished.

growchamber5.jpg

Highland_tank.JPG

My Highland Growing Chamber

Lowland_tank.JPG

My Lowland Tank
The plants are in a 30 gallon tank.

better late then never , heres my first attempt at a terrarium , it is outdoors on my patio , now it has flourescent lights :
outdoor_cp_terrarium.jpg

the current inhabitants from left to right are : n. sanguinea , gublers nep hybrid ,n. x judith finn , n. ventricosa , gublers nep hybrid , d. adelae .

heres my first attempt at an indoor terrarium , it has 2 florescent light fixtures , a Co2 reactor , a humifier and air exchanger , and the reflectors are alluminum foil . :
terrarium.sized.jpg

left
terrarium_left.sized.jpg

middle
terrarium_middle.sized.jpg

right
terrarium_right.sized.jpg

since the bottom of my terrarium has nothing and there was light shining through and humidty i put some plants there :
terrarium_bottom.thumb.jpg

enjoy

I finally got around to taking some pics of my fairly new terrarium.  It mostly has some green dragon and typical vfts that came out of TC a few months ago.  I also have a U livida and some drosera seed growing (sessilifolia and binata).  In a few weeks I'll start some sarrs and other drosera seeds.  Right now they're stratifying in the fridge.

Here's a whole view of it:

Terrarium.JPG

This is the right side.  Front right is my d. sessilifolia seedlings.  In the big green pot is my u. livida which is getting ready to flower.

100_0185.JPG

This is the left side.  Front left is my unltrasonic mister.  My d. binata seedlings are behind the mister.

VFT%20Terrarium%203.JPG

-buckeye

Here's my 10 gallon terrarium.  Might as well take a pic before the plants outgrow it  
wink.gif

10gallontank.jpg

Back row: U. alpina (thanks Bonnie), N. mirabilis "Brunei Speckled"
Front row: U. longifolia, N. clipeata x reinwardtiana, H. minor, and H. heterodoxa x minor

The humidifier runs 4x a day for 2 minutes at a time. That's all thats needed.  The PVC piping is 1.25" diameter.  I custom cut Optix acryllic from Home Depot to make it all fit.  They enjoy high humidity with good air circulation.  One Chroma50 and 1x GE Plant & aquarium light illuminates this setup.

-Homer

Hm seems like most people use their terrarium like a greenhouse. My bigger terrarium is more like a garden under glass containing the more forgiving species:

terrarium01.jpg

The trickier species are growing in pots:

terrarium02.jpg

I have a east facing window and additonal lights which is far enough for any species on my growlist. Only Heliamphora looked green and ugly, everything else has a nice coloration.

Jan

Jan,
Wow! That's really, really nice! How do you keep it so nicely manicured? If I had that, it would be covered in carpet moss in about five seconds. I just checked in here to post a pic of my motley terrarium, but now I'm not so sure! I'm speechless!

Anyway, here's my lousy tank:
terrarium%204.JPG

Capslock
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Wow everyone's tanks look so nice!! Jan, your big terrarium is absolutely awesome. It looks so perfect!
smile.gif

-buckeye

Thanks!

I have a pair of nail scissors and tweezers to get the moss and black (old) leaves out of the "garden"...
Every week half an hour is all in all enough care...

Back