What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A small indoor greenhouse less than $100

Hello all,
I was just wondering where I could get a small (3'x4&#39
wink.gif
indoor greenhouse/grow chaimber for less than $100?
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Your best bet is to construct one from 2x2's and poly. There was a post sometime back on how to construct such a structure.

I have a greenhouse 3'x4'x2' length x width x height from Big lots(used to be Pic N' Save). It cost $19.99 when it was on sale.

Wal*Marts and JoAnn Fabric stores have a 3 x 3 x 3 greenhouse for 19.99 or 29,99 I forget wghat I paid and they also have one thats 3w x 3l & 6h and it's like $69.99 These aren't the best for exclusive indoor growing and are about as good of quality as a 2x2 & poly plastic DIY job. If you're gonna use it outseside for spring/summer and fall then they can't be beat for ease of construction (no tools nedded everything snaps together and zippers shut) but I don't like them for indoor growing chambers because they don't hold enough humidity for my liking.

However, If you make a frame of 2 x 2 wood and instead of poly sheeting you put waterproof fiberglass tub wall surround (you buy it in 4 ft x 8 ft sheets) on the frame and then caulk it on all seams you will retain much more moisture and heat or cold (depending upon what you wanna grow). It's 100% more sturdy and useful plus the glossy white of the wall surround reflects the light back at the plants and they seem to dig the extra light.

Good luck!

Great surround idea! I have an old avary I am going to make into a green house.

ok, thanks all! I don't really understand how the walmart one looses so much humidity? couldn't you just caulk the edges of that one, too?
confused.gif
thanks again!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

IF you have a CVS by you they sell greenhouses for $14.95 they are 2tier mini greenhouses. Hold in humidity great and heat to.
biggrin.gif

you can see the mini greenhouse go to the Nepenthes topic and got to N. Ventrata and he has a mini 2tier greenhouse and both of his big N. Ventrata are standing in there with a unknown Nep.
biggrin.gif

Not the best photo, but this shows the smaller of the vinyl greenhouses. This is much taller than shown as its actually two of the smaller greenhouses put together.

LargeNVentrata.jpg

thank you so much for all the responses, I'll probably try the CVS, what does that stand for again?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

That looks like it, but maybe only a 2 or 3-tier, 4 looks to tall for inside... Thanks again!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

it's only 5 ft 1 inch or so tall... thing is. you want a 2 or 3 tier one... your looking at about the same price from what i have seen. plus you can remove the shelves on this if you want to put taller plants in.
biggrin.gif

later,

Maybe this is the plan that Nick was referring to that I posted a few months back.
If so, feel free to copy it to your hard drive for a reference.
I used plain untreated pine for the one that I built, and have had no problems with
mold or fungus, but treated or sealed pine or cedar (more expensive) would be
much better, especially if you are going to keep humidity levels in the very high range.
Mine averages 55% low to 85% high.
As soon as I finish the r/c model airplane that I am building for my dad, I am going
to replace the flat top with and inverted V-shaped one because I think the air will
circulate better and more of the heat from the internally mounted lights will escape. Mine goes into the low 90s during the summer which doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I prefer to keep it at 85 to 88 degrees maximum.

Hope this helps.

Alan

encloser.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CP2k @ Mar. 31 2003,05:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a greenhouse 3'x4'x2' length x width x height from Big lots(used to be Pic N' Save). It cost $19.99 when it was on sale.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I need to find a cheap indoor greenhouse. With some height tho

Back