What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apartment greenhouses?

Hello,

Can an extra room in an apartment be turned into a greenhouse/grouth chamber type thing? Has anyone tried this? What steps did you take? Thank for the info

yes just line the room with plastic and make some good sized tables the buy alot of flourescent lights
the reason for plastic is to not root the walls unless you have high enough humidity to grow cps in your area

I have thought that if I ever build a house, I'm going to build a plant room. To solve the problem with rotting or mildewing of the sheetrock walls is to use the green drywall, the same thing that's used in bathrooms and kitchens.

I have taken no extra precautions...   Just use a rack like this one it holds 600 lbs per shelf,
is easy to hang lights from and the shelves are adjustable at one inch incraments so you can have different height plants on their own level and still be close to the light.
 The green sheetrock is only used for surfaces that will contact water, like behind the bathtub. Not the whole bathroom.  I don't think in areas that have extreamly high humidity use that green stuff for the whole house do you?   Any way, that's what I do and I know pingman uses a spare room also with no plastic on the walls etc etc...   Good luck!
Andrew

No you don't use it for the whole house in areas with high humidities. But it seems like all of the houses I've worked on has used it for the whole batrhroom. It may not prevent all problems but it has to stop alot of the moisture from getting into the walls.

That may be a regional thing too Ozzy.. I have done enough bathroom and kitchen remodels to know that greenboard is generally only used in tub/ shower enclosures. (at least here in California) I honestly have never seen it used in kitchens at all, or anywhere else in any bathrooms I've worked in. And I can also say that I have never used it for anything else except one time when it was specifically requested by a customer.

Steve

All the houses that I have done have been in NC where almost everyday in the summer it's 100% humidity, so you're probably right. Since I have seen it in every house that I've wired I assummed it was a common thing.
I think it would work for a plant room. What do you think?

Well you know how building codes are..  they like to make them as different as possible for every city, county, state neighborhood, zip code, odd number addresses..
confused.gif
tounge.gif
 ect ect so they can keep inspectors busy and contractors p**ed off lol. As for using greenboard for a plant room I think it would be great, if not a touch overkill. As long as there is sufficient ventilation, mold/ fungus should not be a problem. It did spark some interest to me as I have been browsing the new home market a bit lately, and a plant room is a definate must have.

Steve

Back