What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Fixtures...

for a cheap light fixture for my bedroom, to hover above my plants using gravity defying levitation... What do I need to purchase? What is 'Shop Light'
confused.gif
Suzanne apperantly knows, but i'm unsureof what she means... Her idea costs eleven dollars...

Thanks alot, and congrats me for making the first post in this forum that counts...
wink.gif

Greg

A shop light  is one of those two to four tube  fluorescent light fixtures you can buy at a hardware store to put over a work area in a shop.  Like over a work bench where a do-it-yourselfer might assemble the parts of a project together.  They come prewired with a plug already attached or needing assembly where you have to wire it up to a light switch.
edited @ 3:18=== Alright I got #2 spot!
tounge.gif

buy a cheap plant light for 4 buks at home depot (i dont work there, heh)

I have a desk lamp as suplimentary light whenthesun is not beating in the window on my plants... A desk lamp with a plant light. I want something a bit more elaborate, and useful... The desklamp does diddly squat, IMO...But... I still use it.
Heh...

This is what a shop light look like:

shoplight.jpg

biggrin.gif

This one hangs over my Nepenthes alata growth chamber/terrarium and is on a timer.

Oh neat, thanks...
Nice neighborhood...
wink.gif

I've had some success using a regular desk lamp with a screw-in compact flourescent bulb. But you can't beat a shoplight for value if you have somewhere to put it. About CAN$16 at the Home Despot last time I checked, and bulbs are about 1.50.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dodecatheon @ Aug. 06 2002,10:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">About CAN$16 at the Home Despot last time I checked...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
WOW! I can't believe a tyrant would put such a low price for shop lights!
wow.gif

hehe

sorry, couldn't resist.
tounge.gif
smile.gif

Joel™

I had a friend who used to work there. That's what he called it. Kinda funny eh?

I grow all of my plants under grow light bulb thingies. The main thing is just to have the plants close to the bulbs. I only use two bulbs , but that seems to be enough. You can even buy or make a nice wood cover that goes over the fixture to make it look better.

im gonna have a 5 gallon fish tank with a top light fixture that comes with most aquariums for lighting.what kinda bulbs do you recommend for this type of terrarium? as i will be growing mainly sundews.

I would use plant light bulbs. Make sure that on the package it says for growing plants and not for show casing them. Make sure that the plants are 8 inches away or less from the bulbs. Two bulbs should be enough.

plant light bulbs? are those the ones you find in the plant section of most stores? and will they fit a 5 gallon tank hood?

Will the 5gal tank get any natural light? If not, the 15watt single bulb aquarium hood will not be enough light.
Tony

if it will not be enough light,will more wattage bulbs do better?

Back