What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing 1 greenhouse and a sanctuary

I have a little problem, you see outside, my whole backyard ive turned into a actual like swamp, willow trees a pond with tons of mud and sand around it, ive planted 3 20 foot by 20foot squares of pitcher plants, VFTs and sundew. Then outside i have one hothouse ( every year in november, i replant all the plants outside inside the hothouse for the cold season, i dont give em dormancies). Now the problem is, i am ordering more VFT's from botanical gardens, a ton more, so i want to install a Greenhouse, and a sanctuary of nepenthes and butterworts in my basement. My basement isnt that big, and ive ordered 20 butterworts and 15 nep's. And the greenhouse outside, but i barley have any room left, and what! SWEET! second.....Back i was looknig out the window behind my comp and a bee landed in one of my giant pitcher plants. LoL he is stuck! i can see his shadow in the sun. Anyways, i dont have much room left, what should i do? Move my 10 gallon pond? Then i could hurt my Aquatic VFT's! Like my U.gibba and stuff!

First a question, what zone are you in? I am in Zone 7 and my VFT's, pitcher plants and sundews stay out year round for two reasons. 1 without a dormacy period they will die and 2 transplanting them causes them to reduce the growth, I had one pitcher plant that it took a full yeat to recover from being transplanted.

Second, what are you asking help on? Do you want advice on installing a greenhouse. It would help if you could post pictures of your setup so we can see what you are doing and make recomendations.

I dont own a scanner, a digital camera or anything of the sort to take pictures. I live out in the country, near a lake and a forest, i have never heard of "Zones". What i am asking is if i should remove all my plants for the greenhouse? But thats a bad idea, i might just build a sanctuary instead.

The zone I was talking about is the USDA planting zone, it gives average temps for areas or zones in the US. Here is a link that showes the zones. USDA zones I use my greenhouse to grow plants that will not surrive outside year round. I would not recomend removing your plants to but in a greenhouse. If you want to protect them from the cold you can always  construct a temporary coldframe over them for the colder months. Here is a link to a site that sells cold frames and Green houses. Cold frames & green houses I purchased my green house from them.

I live in zone 6, thats why i have a hot house outside, for winter. Thanks for the website, i will order parts there.

Back