What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New highland nepenthes chamber

• Thread starter mrmiller
  • Start date
Hello,

This is my first posting on these message boards.  My name is Matt Miller and I have been growing carnivorous plants and operating my website, Carnivorous Plants Online, since 1997 (although since attending college my cp collection has been cut back).  I have been looking for a way to grow highland nepenthes at home without my constant supervision.  I designed a fully automated grow chamber for them last year and over christmas break I was finally able to construct it (with some christmas present funding from my parents
smile.gif
).  

The tank is 6' x 4' x 4' and the bottom back and sides are made of 3/4 inch plywood.  The front is plexiglass.  The inside of the plywood has been painted with a white waterproof latex paint to help hold in humidity and the sides of the terrarium have been coated with reflective aluminum foil and the back of the terrarium is fixed with a glass mirror.  The tank is illuminated with four 4' fluorescent shop lights and a sodium halide bulb.  The bottom 10 inches of the tank have been waterproofed with a thick rubber liner used in artificial ponds.  The tank holds about 4 inches of water all the time that is kept heated in the mid 60's (F)  The Nepenthes are placed on egg crating that is held about 2 inches above the water.  The tank is humidified with an ultrasonic mister that is placed in a tub in the water.  I keep the water in this tub in the 80's and this causes the mist to rise and humidify the air more productively than if the mist were cool.  A device made from PVC and flexible tubing waters each pot once per day for 15 minutes.  The water drains free from the pots and combines with the water in the bottom of the tank.  An overflow valve leads to a barrel filled with RO water from which the pump waters the plants each day, recycling the water.  I dont see a possible source for buildup of salts but I will probably fully drain the system every several months just to make sure.

The tank maintains a humidity in the mid 70's during the day and between 85 and 100% at night.  Incandescent bulbs keep the daytime temperature at 75 degrees (F) and the nightime temperature drops to between 55 and 62 degrees (F).  At night a small fan and side vent blows air into the tank adding ciculation and a cooling effect.  The air entering the tank must pass through a course wash cloth that has water running through it by a small water pump and plastic tubing setup.  This running water also keeps the nighttime humidity high.  The temperaure ranges are made possible by building the tank in a basement garage that stays very cool.

This tank will hopefully allow me to grow nepenthes while I am away at college because my parents will only have to keep RO water in the barrel and keep an eye on the temperature and humidity ranges,  I will be able to return home every couple of weeks for maintenance and to make adjustments to the temperature controlling features to adjust for the seasons.

I would love to hear feedback about the grow chamber / terrarium.

Thanks,
Matt Miller

highlandtank.jpg

Welcome Matt! Look forward to reports on how things do and observations you make along the way.
Tony

Welcome. That's a very nice looking grow tank! How much did you spend on the materials?

Hello,

The tank was a bit pricey. The sodium halide lamp was free with a used aquarium in the paper and the mirror was free from some remodeling my parents did this year. The pond liner was free from a friend, and one water pump was not included but cost around $60 Everything else totalled about $275.

Matt

Hello,
I was wondering how exactly it is cooling automatically? And how much did just the cooling part cost? Thanks!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Sounds like a good setup. Keep us posted about how well its working. What is the day and night temp in the room you are keeping the chamber in?

Can you tell me what is a sodium halide bulb and what is use for other than light?

The sodium halide bulb is just an incredibly high intensity bulb with a suitable spectrum for plant growth. I don't understand what you mean by:"what is use for other than light?" If you make that more clear, I'd be glad to help!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Back