What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland nepenthes

Hello all,
I was wondering what Nepenthes could fit inside a 30 gallon? Thanks all who respond.
smile.gif

Well what sizes are we talking about fitting into this tank? little guys in 4 inch pots or a huge maxima in a 10 inch pot?
smile.gif

Hmmm...let's go with huge maxima in a 10 inch pot, Dustin.

Ok, it probably isn't going to fit, or if it does it will outgrow it within a week!
tounge.gif
I am getting by with my 20 gallon one for the last time, after I figure out the greenhouse heater equipment I will have nothing more to worry about as I will also have a backup heater via an emergency occurs.

Sure why not. Just make sure that the palnts aren't fast growers like an N. tobaica!

I am able to fit a 14" diameter N. truncata in a 10 gallon tank, in a 5" pot. The problem is, the pitchers are getting too large for the tank (they are hiting the lights), and so I will need to place it in a larger pot under my metal halide lights. I have many 4" potted plants in ten gallon terrariums, so a 30 gallon one should be great. Hope that answers your question.

Do you mean what Nepenthes can grow in a 30 gallon tank and not outgrow it size wise? Some like N. tentaculata will not get overly huge but will periodically need pruning back. Others like N. lowii will last many years before they will get too large for the terrarium since they grow fairly slowly.

Other smaller growing highland Nepenthes that come to mind:
N. xiphioides
N. argentii
N. muluensis
N. talangensis

I guess alot depends how many plants you want to keep. The more plants the less room for each.
Tony

O sure Tony post the rare and expensive ones.
smile.gif
tounge.gif
j/k

Yes Tony, I want Nepenthes that can grow in a 30 gallon but will not outgrow the size of the container. Tony or anybody else, what other highland Nepenthes could be involved?

hmm some mid sized highland plants:

N. ramispina
N. spectabilis
N. singalana
N. inermis
N. glabrata

small to mid sized additions:
N. gymnamphora
N. pectinata
N. aristolochiioides
N. mikei

You could go with some small seedlings of species which gain size slowly. Although what you would do with them in a few years when they do eventually get big I am not sure.
N. lowii
N. macfarlanei
(if you have the cool enough night temps)
N. villosa
N. macrophylla

Some of these are more inclined to vine than others and this is by no means complete.
Tony

Thanks Tony. I appreciate for the help.

Back