What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best growlights

Well, my long streak of having terrariums without growlights (almost 2 years now) is coming to an end, as some of my prized drosera look light straved. What is the best growlight out there that is affordable to keep and run? Thanks-Zach

I would recommend flourescent fixtures. Home improvement stores sell four foot shoplights which can be fitted with 2 40watt tubes. I would recommend two shoplight fixtures(4 tubes total: 160watt). This can be fitted perfectly on top of a 55/60 gallon long aquarium or 2 20 gallon aquariums placed side by side lengthwise(this will not fit perfectly, about a third of one of the 20 gallon terrarium will be dim, the dark area can be used for prolifera, schizandra etc.) The lights should be set with a timer. This setup is for terrariums placed in the dark. If it is for a windowsill terrarium one fixture might do.

The fixtures also come in smaller 2 ft. size.(perfect fit for a 20 gallon terrarium), but these cost a lot more. The tubes are also more expensive for this size as there is not a lot of demand for these.

I would go with 2 cool and 2 warm lights. I use the Plant and Aquarium light(cool light) by Phillips. The Sunshine lights are supposed to be good warm-lights. Gro-Lux lights also work well, but they are much more $$.

Most Drosera sp./hybrids and Pings will need to be placed close to the light(maybe 6in).

If CP2k is refering to the Sunshine bulb sold in the orange sleve with yellow writting I will just chime in and say that those were the only fluorescent tubes I used and I got great results with them.

If you have the money/space I would also recommend a blended spectrum HID/MH bulb. I have had mine for just over a month and have seen phenominal growth and colour in that time.

thanks for the info guys. Imma try shopping for them soon.

I use cheap, $2/each cool white fluorescent bulbs only and have had excellent results. Just be careful of the power saver bulbs that put out less than 40 watts each.

so UV isn't important to cp's? Like in reptiles, their lighting requires one that emits UV rays, etc. If plants dont require it, a regular light bulb, as Pingman put it, can work? So i can take a 40W light and use it? Will that make to much heat? Thanks-Zach )PS: it is for a ten gallon)

The light intensity is more important than the spectrum in my opinion. I am not sure, but I remember that glass blocks out most of the uv rays. The plants I have in my terrariums with artificial flourescent lighting are colored red, I doubt these receive good amounts of uv ray. If you are only light a 10g terrarium, I would use lamps with flourescent bulbs(not sure of wattage). Flourescents produce much less heat than incandescent bulbs. They heated my 60g terrarium by ~5F(compared to surroundings) when they were turned on during the day.

Thanks for this info. I just found an old aquarium light fixture in my garage, so imma try some nice lights. Wish me luck
smile.gif

Hi,
Im using 25w flourescent lights, they seem to be working, btw, there in a 10 gallon, i think they are reptile lights, but anyways, any suggestions? Thanks,
Kevin

Hey, i have two 24" one bulb fixtures, one of wich has a gro-lux and the other has a soft white, i have another extra same-sized grow-lux in the closet. Should i use both gro-lux? or just 1 and the soft white one?

Best growlights[/I]
sun light of course..
wink.gif

Back