What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagen life glo fluorescent bulbs

i am using this kind of bulb,its 15 watts and 6700 kelvins.it seems to really make my s purpurea get really red and purple veins so its doing really well except for my sundews which seem to get burned.dunno what i am doing wrong.any help would be appreciated.

thank you,

tounge.gif

Sundews getting burned? What kind of 'dews? My first thought would be they are too close to the light, and therefore the local humidity is getting "burned away" by the heat of the lamp. Therefore, I think they're drying out, not burning, but that's just a guess.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Not familiar with the bulb but could be a case of dropping humidity in proximity to the bulb as Schloaty indicates. Could also be something funny with the bulb. 15watt is not very strong but if there is alot of UV in it or something then you could in fact be burning them.

Sounds like it is some sort of bulb from a pet store. Is it for reptiles or something? How close is it to the plants? Any other information on the setup would help also.
Tony

it is a bulb from the petstore,what would be good for a 10 gallon terrarium? the s purpurea are doing really good.but the dews are suffering.the sundews are mainly spaths and adalae.

thanks guys and gals
biggrin.gif

If the Sarracenia are doing well then I suspect it is not the light bulb causing the problem. You could pick up a plain cool white bulb though pretty cheaply and toss it in to see what happens.
Tony

where do you get these bulbs and how much do they run for $?
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wow.gif

are those the ones from petsmart that is real bright above the plants

that is the one though.i have replaced it with a eclipse natural sunlight bulb and will see how the results come out..but i dont have much venting so air can get in there.not sure if that is the problem.

thanks everyone
wink.gif

Back