What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about lighting

• Thread starter myke66
  • Start date
Ok, so today i went out to get the right type of blubs for my shoplight. I remembered reading about what kind of lumens you want and the color temp.

I had 2 blubs in my hand and i wasnt sure what one to get. Tell me what one i should have gotten. These are the specs:

1) 2250 Inital Lumens - 5000k Color temp - 90CRI
2) 3050 Inital Lumens - 6500k Color temp - 75CRI

HELP!

The first post under the Greenhouses, Terrariums and bog gardens should have all the answers for you... here is the link.
Andrew

There's not really a right answer to that question. Both bulbs should be good. If they're priced the same, i'd probably go with the 6500K bulb just because it has greater output, even if the CRI isn't is good. You'll often find a tradeoff like that.

The CRI doesn't mean that much in this case. A 6500k bulb will have a lower CRI. Because it is slightly to the blue side it naturally can't reproduce colors WE SEE as accurately.

I would use the 6500k, with the higher lumens you get more light for the money. With the slight shift to the blue side the bulb should also put out a higher percentage of light usable by the plant.

Tony

Ty so much for your responses. I wasnt sure if 6500k was too much b/c mostly i've seen 5000k. Thakns!

Back